In this article, we will answer the question “How to make truffle salt?”, and how to cook with truffle salt?
How to make truffle salt?
- 1/4 cup dried shiitake mushrooms (ground)
- 3/4 cup Coarse sea salt
- Drop Black truffle oil (optional)
Instead of shiitake mushrooms, you can either use morels or real truffles if you like your salt with a more pungent flavor.
- First, grind the dried mushroom using a spice grinder or food processor to convert it into powder form. Keep it coarse like the sea salt.
- To ground dried mushrooms, add sea salt and few drops of truffle oil and you are done.
- Now you have to let this mixture sit for some time so that the flavor of the mushroom and the truffle oil penetrates into the salt granules.
What is truffle salt?
Truffle salt is a concoction prepared by mixing traditional salt with pieces of black or white truffle. The main flavor of the truffle salt is something like garlic with an earthy or musky flavor that balances it. The type of salt and the truffle used to make truffle salt greatly impact its taste and flavor. Exotic salts, sea salt grains or flakes, etc are used to make truffles salt.
Truffle salt has a milder flavor than truffle oils. Truffles or truffle products are expensive because they require special growing conditions. Truffles most commonly grow in the roots of oak trees. Truffle can be defined as an edible subterranean fungus.
Benefits of truffle salt
To reap the maximum benefits of truffle salt, pay attention to what kind of salt base is used. Skip the one with the table salt base and truffle flavoring that does not contain any real truffle pieces.
- According to various studies, truffles are rich in therapeutic compounds with anti-inflammatory, antioxidant(flavonoids), antimicrobial, anti-mutagenic, and anti-carcinogenic properties.
- Like mushrooms, truffles have also been associated with lowering cholesterol, regulating blood sugar. Truffles have also been found to possess hepatoprotective (prevents liver damage) abilities.
- Moreover, truffle salt has rich mineral content. Therefore, it helps to avoid dehydration by providing essential electrolytes, thus maintaining the nervous functions. It also balances the body fluids.
Health risks of truffle salt
If you are on a sodium-restricted diet, avoid using truffle salt. High sodium can lead to hypertension. It can also cause excessive fluid retention in patients with congestive heart failure, cirrhosis of the liver, or kidney disease.
Moreover, a high sodium diet can also lead to electrolyte imbalance in the body. Frequent urine, persistent thirst, lethargy, bloating and headaches are common symptoms of a high sodium diet.
How to preserve fresh truffles?
Apart from preserving the fresh truffles by making truffle salt, you can try the following creative ways to preserve fresh truffles.
If you use store-bought truffle oil, make sure it’s not just made with truffle essence. To preserve the goodness of truffles, use real truffles.
- 250 ml extra virgin cold-pressed olive oil
- 25 grams black truffle
- Wash truffles to avoid contamination.
- Add grated fresh truffle to a jar followed by olive oil.
- Let the truffle infuse into the oil for 48 hours. Store in the refrigerator for 3 months.
Truffle butter is made using black truffles and is used in cooking because the heat reduces the robust flavor of black truffles.
- 20 grams truffle
- 250 grams butter
- Melt butter and combine with chopped truffles.
- Put in molds and refrigerate to harden.
How to cook with truffle salt?
How to use truffle salt?
Add some truffle salt to your avocado toast to balance the richness of the fruit.
Mac and cheese
Limit the salt in your mac and cheese because the cheese already has loads of it. For flavor, you can either use truffle oil if you like the pungent flavor or sprinkle some truffle salt on top of your mac and cheese for a mild flavor.
If you love scrambled eggs in your breakfast, jazz it up by adding truffle salt with freshly chopped/grated pecorino or Parmigiano in it.
To make regular french fries exciting, sprinkle some truffle salt on top for an added flavor.
Instead of making popcorns with the regular table salt, add truffle salt for complex flavors to melt in your mouth when you eat popcorns. Do not use truffle salt for the microwave popcorn. Pop your own corns at home using a stove, some truffle salt, and butter/oil.
In this article, we answered the question “How to make truffle salt?”, and how to cook with truffle salt?