How to make tater tots crispy in the oven? (+3 Ways to cook)
In this article, we will answer the question “How to make tater tots crispy in the oven?”, and what are the other ways to cook tater tots?
How to make tater tots crispy in the oven?
- 2 (16 ounces) bags frozen potatoes, thawed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for coating
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 a clove garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or oregano leaves
- Preheat your oven to 450℉. Coat a baking sheet or tray with some olive oil.
- Pulse the potatoes in a food processor to a finely chopped texture. If you do not have a food processor, simply pass this step.
- In s bowl, combine the potatoes with olive oil, a cup of parmesan cheese, flour, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, and salt as per taste.
- Scoop out 1 tsp of this potato mixture and roll it into a ball using your hands. Turn this ball intoa cylindrical shape and repeat this process until the potato mixture is all used up. Spread these cylinders onto a greased baking sheet. Spritz each tot with a generous amount of olive oil.
- Slide the baking tray into the ovena db bake each side for about 10-12 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- In another bowl, mix 1-2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, some garlic, and thyme/oregano. Sprinkle this cheesy powder onto the pipping hot tots freshly out of the oven.
- Serve with tomato ketchup and enjoy.
To make ahead
The tots can be stored for upto 4 days. Simply warm these tots on a well-greased baking sheet at 400℉ for about 10-15 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy.
After baking, let he tots cool, then spread them on a baking sheet and freeze for about 1-2 hours. Spritz the tots with some herb butter before or after freezing. Simply warm these tots on a well-greased baking sheet at 400℉ for about 10-15 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy.
Cook tater tots longer than the package instructions
The cooking time mentioned on the package of frozen tater tots will ensure that the tots are thoroughly cooked and warmed but It won’t make the tots crispy from the outside and creamy from the centre.
Instead of looking at the clock to judge the doneness of the tater tots, look for the visual clues. Perfectly cooked tater tots have a crispy crust and a golden brown hue.
Your bets bet is to add 5 minutes to the cooking time directed in the recipe. You can increase or decrease this time based on how the tots look.
A slightly longer cooking time will make sure the tots have the potato-y goodness within and mouth watering crispy texture from the exterior.
What are the other ways to cook tater tots?
Tater tots can be cooked in an air fryer, oven, deep fryer, frying pan etc. it is not recommended to cook tater tots in the microwave unless they are especially made to be cooked in the microwave. Microwave turns the tots mushy and nobody wants that.
In a skillet
- Fill a skillet ¼ inches from the bottom with oil. Heat it over medium-high heat until the oil shimmers and teh skillet is coated evenly.
- When the oil is hot enough, add the frozen tater tots one by one carefully.
- Cook the tots till crispy and golden brown from both sides.
- Using a spatula or a slotted spoon, transfer the tots to a paper towel and let them drain.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper for seasoning and serve with a dipping sauce.
In an air-fryer
- Spray some cooking oil on the basket of your air fryer.
- Place the after tots in the basket according to the capacity or size of the basket and air-fryer.
- Cook the tater tots at 400℉ for about 15- 20 minutes.
- Shake the tots midway through the cooking process to ensure even cooking.
In a deep fryer
- Remove the basket and preheat the oil.
- Add the tater tots into the basket and lower it into the hot oil.
- Let the tots cook until they are nice and brown form both sides or come to the surface floating.
- After 5 minutes of deep frying, empty the basket into a plate lined with paper towels.
- Allow to drain and serve warm.
In this article, we answered the question “How to make tater tots crispy in the oven?”, and what are the other ways to cook tater tots?