In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How to make gelatin powder?” as well as methods to prepare gelatin cubes, fruit-flavored gelatin using gelatin powder and sheets.
How to make gelatin powder?
Use 50 grams of china grass along with 50 grams of sugar and blend it in a mixer to make gelatin powder. Blend the sugar and china grass till it becomes fine. The texture of gelatin powder should be similar to that of sugar powder.
How to make gelatin cubes?
There are two methods to prepare gelatin cubes. This would include using gelatin powder and gelatin sheets.
For making gelatin cubes, you would require powdered gelatin (either prepared at home or bought from the store).
Using gelatin powder
- 1 tbsp of Gelatin powder
- 2 cups of warm water
- ½ cup of cold water
- Add ½ cup of cold water to a bowl. Add the gelatin powder (1 tbsp) to the cold water. Add the gelatin powder to the water gently. There should not be any lumps.
- Allow the gelatin to rest for 5-10 minutes. After 5-10 minutes, you will observe the gelatin powder to be blooming. Blooming would mean the expansion of gelatin powder.
- Place the pan containing 2 cups of water into a stove over medium heat. Allow the water to simmer.
- Add 2 cups of warm water to the gelatin powder, after it has bloomed. Avoid adding boiling water as this can spoil the gelatin.
- Stir the gelatin using a spoon or whisk. Check whether the gelatin powder has dissolved by lifting the spoon from the gelatin powder in between. If you see lumps or granules in water, keep stirring till the gelatin powder dissolves in the water.
- Take an ice cube tray or a tray containing molds. Grease the molds with oil. This would help in easing the removal of gelatin cubes from molds later on. Add the gelatin water into the molds.
- Place the molds filled with gelatin into the refrigerator. This would convert the gelatin in liquid form to a solid form. Once the gelatin has turned solid, you can remove it from the molds and use them.
Using gelatin sheets
- 1 cup of cold water
- 2 cups of warm water
- 4-5 gelatin sheets
- Place the gelatin sheets on a baking pan. If you do not have a baking pan, opt for a casserole. Keep the sheets next to each other. They should be separated from one another.
- Pour 1 cup of cold water on top of the gelatin sheets.
- Wait for the gelatin to expand properly. The gelatin can expand and become wrinkly after 5 minutes. Avoid blooming the gelatin for more than 5-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 cups of water over heat. Allow the water to simmer. After heating the water, remove them from the heat and switch the stove off.
- Take gelatin off the cold water after it has bloomed. Squeeze the sheets gently to remove excess water and make sure to not break the sheets.
- Place the gelatin sheets in the hot water removed from the stove. Use a spoon to stir the gelatin till it dissolves thoroughly.
- After the gelatin has dissolved thoroughly, pour the gelatin into molds or cups. If you are using a mold, make sure to grease them with oil before adding the gelatin.
- Place the gelatin in the fridge for 4 hours to allow it to become solid and firm.
Other FAQs on gelatin powder that you might be interested in.
How to prepare vegan gelatin?
You can use agar to prepare vegan gelatin. Mix the agar with water. Let the mixture boil over heat. Mix the mixture properly while stirring them and add 2 tbsp of sugar to the vegan gelatin to sweeten it further.
Cook for 2 minutes further and then try to cool the mixture. If you want to set the vegan gelatin, add them to molds and then place them in the fridge for 30 minutes.
You can also use agar flakes to prepare vegan gelatin. Place the agar flakes in water for half an hour. Remove the water and take out excess water from the agar flakes. Add the agar flakes to 450 ml of water and heat it for 2 minutes.
If you want to flavor gelatin, you use fruit-flavored gelatin. For this purpose, you would have to add gelatin to 1 cup of chilled fruit juice. Meanwhile, heat 2 cups of water and add this to fruit-flavored gelatin. You can add the gelatin to molds and refrigerate them.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How to make gelatin powder?” as well as methods to prepare gelatin cubes, fruit-flavored gelatin using gelatin powder, and sheets.