In this brief guide, we will answer the question, ‘how to light a gas stove?’. We will discuss the differences between a conventional gas stove and a modern gas stove and how each of them can be lit. We will also study the mechanism of the above two popular kinds of stove found in a common household.
How to light a gas stove?
To light a gas stove, you need electricity or an alternative power supply to light it up. However, if you are experiencing a power outage, you can switch to a gas-based option to light up the stove. You can opt for matchsticks to light up the burner instead.
How to light Gas Pilot Stove and Electric Ignition Stove?
Older versions of stovetops manufactured before the 1990s are still widely used that need fire to start up. The newer ones that work with electricity have mostly replaced them.
The new ovens have an electric starter of which only some can light up using a matchstick.
The old-fashioned stovetop can work with a matchstick ignition. When the electronic burner ignition stops, you could allow the flow of natural or propane gas to reach the ignition.
The most recent ones, however, are not built to be lit up by a matchstick. Due to safety reasons, you can not light up the stove using a matchstick. Such stoves have a safety valve that prevents your stove from lighting up until it has access to a live circuit.
The new stoves have a solenoid valve that obstructs the flow of the gas towards the gas valve. The technology is a safety feature that prevents your stove from lighting up without a power source. The electric side is a part of the burner system.
How to use the earlier gas stove without electricity?
- Turn all of the stove dials and buttons.
- Locate holes at the center of the burner. Light up the matchstick and bring the flame to the holes.
- Hold the matchstick carefully to avoid burning your fingers. You have only a few seconds before the match stick burns down toward your fingers.
- After the burner lights up, you can put out the match light. Blow on it to put the fire out. You could cut off the oxygen supply to put it out.
How do Electrical Ignition Stoves work?
If you use a gas oven that comes with the electric glow-bar ignition system, then without an electric supply, the stove will not work. The igniter needs to turn on.
The flame and temperature sensors are connected electrically to the gas valve, then the oven won’t light up without electricity.
In conclusion, the gas valve connects to the ignitor in a circuit that prevents it from lighting up unless it has access to an electrical source.
Other FAQs about Stoves which you may be interested in.
How to light a gas stove in case of a power failure?
If a gas stove was built before the previous two decades, you could easily bypass the electrical ignition and instead use a matchstick to light up a stove.
The older stoves come with a standing pilot flame. In such a case, a technique called hydraulic pressure operates the gas valve.
In case flame sensors and temperature sensors are ignited by the hydraulic technique; the stove will work in case of a power failure.
To tell if your stove works without an electrical ignition source, turn the knob; if you hear a hissing sound, this implies you only need an ignition source to turn it on.
A gas stove heats up immediately after you turn it on.
Chefs and professional cooks prefer to use gas stoves. With the flame in sight, it makes it easier to cook, handle it; and gauge the current temperature.
Why do people choose to have gas stoves?
- A gas stove heats up immediately after you turn it on. Chefs and professional cooks prefer to use gas stoves. With the flame in sight, it makes it easier to cook, handle it; and gauge the current temperature.
- There isn’t a restriction to the kinds of cookware you could use on a stove. Stainless steel, cast iron, and woks; all are well-suited to be used on a gas stove.
- Some people have a gas line connected to their homes. In such an instance, gas is cheaper than electricity. If you do not have a gas supply to your home; using a gas stove could be costly.
In this brief guide, we answered the question, ‘how to light a gas stove?’. We discussed the differences between a conventional gas stove and a modern gas stove and how each of them can be lit. We also studied the mechanism of the above two popular kinds of stove found in a common household.