In this article, we will answer the question “How to know If strawberries are bad?”, and how to store strawberries?
How to know If strawberries are bad?
- The presence of mold is a clear indication of spoilage.
- Strawberries that are too mushy and deeply bruised should be discarded.
- If the strawberries are losing their bright red color, firmness, and giving off a funny smell, they have gone bad and should be discarded.
How to store strawberries?
- If the strawberries are to be consumed within the same or few hours, they can be left on the countertop.
- If they will be used the next day or need to be stored for a couple of more days, refrigeration is a good option.
- Put the strawberries in an air-tight container and put them in the crisper drawer of your fridge.
Before storing the strawberries, you need to consider the following factors.
Remove the moldy strawberries
Remove the moldy strawberries from the bulk. Repeat this exercise every day to keep the strawberries around for longer. Removing the spoiled berries will prevent the bacteria or mold from spreading to the rest of the berries.
Leave the berries as-is
Do not wash the berries beforehand If they are not to be consumed within the same day. You don’t have to remove the stem as well. Just keep them as-is.
Make sure the strawberries don’t get crushed
Strawberries are perishable. Any damage will speed up the degradation process even more. Do not place any other vegetable or fruit that weighs down on the bag in which the strawberries are stored.
How to freeze strawberries?
Prepare the fruit
Wash the strawberries and pat dry using a paper towel. Remove the stems and slice or cut them or leave them whole If you want.
Spread the strawberries evenly on a baking tray in a single layer. Do not stack them on top of another. The strawberries should not touch each other. Let them freeze overnight.
Pack and freeze
Transfer the frozen strawberries into a freezer bag or air-tight container and put them in the fridge. Squeeze out the air from the freezer bag, label it and chuck it into the freezer.
The shelf-life of strawberries
Strawberries will only last a day at room temperature. Refrigerating the strawberries will extend their shelf-life to about 7 days. Strawberries can go bad before 7 days If they are not stored correctly. They should be inspected for moldy strawberries daily. Moreover, the humidity as well as how congested the refrigerator is; affects the shelf-life of strawberries. For prolonged storage, freezing is the way to go.
How to buy the freshest strawberries?
- Look for strawberries with a plumpy and firm texture. Avoid strawberries with a mushy texture or bruised skin. Plumpy strawberries will be more juicy and flavorful.
- Make sure that the stem and leaves are intact and the leaves are not withered. They should have a fresh green color.
- A strawberry with a bright red or ruby red color will have more flavor than a strawberry that is greenish or whitish at the tips. Green or white tips indicate under ripeness. Do not buy such strawberries because they won’t ripen in storage.
- Look for the signs of mold. If there are green spots or patches on the strawberry, do not buy as it indicates fungal contamination.
- Seasonal berries taste better because they do not have to go through the long storage durations that strip them of their fresh flavor.
- This is true that the smaller berries are juicier, sweeter, and have a more concentrated flavor. Larger strawberries taste bland.
- Strawberries are very fragrant. Look for the strawberries with a pleasant fruity smell.
What to do with unripe strawberries?
Unripe strawberries can be pickled, added to smoothies or soups. Besides, they can also be used to make the following.
Unripe strawberries taste acidic. Add sugar and strawberries in a saucepan and add a splash of water. Cook until smooth and pour over pancakes or make strawberry flavored ice cream.
Strawberries combined with cream cheese and greek yogurt make the perfect sweet and savory treat that is an utter delight to anyone who does not like too much sugary taste in desserts.
Roast the unripe strawberries to convert the tang into a sweet flavor. It is an excellent addition to your salad bowls or margaritas.
Make strawberry martini using vodka and citrus juice. Strawberry lemonade with or without vodka is a very refreshing summer drink. Pour that homemade strawberry syrup in a glass and add gin and tonic for a delicious cocktail. Add lemon juice for a tangy hint.
In this article, we answered the question “How to know If strawberries are bad?”, and how to store strawberries?