In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How to keep cooked rice fresh?” as well as provide information on methods to reheat rice and store them.
How to keep cooked rice fresh?
Allow the cooked rice to cool before placing it in the fridge to keep the cooked rice fresh. To cool the rice faster, spread the rice on a baking sheet and place it under a fan. When the rice becomes cold, transfer it into a sealed container.
Do not place rice for more than a day in the fridge. If you are planning to not consume the entire amount of rice that has been refrigerated, take out only the amount of rice you require and reheat only once.
Can reheating rice keep them fresh?
Reheating rice can make it fresh and bring out the flavors of the rice. It is important to heat the rice evenly.
- Rice can be placed in a saucepan over the hob. Add little drops of oil and cover the rice with a lid to allow it to become warm.
- If you want to heat the rice up quickly, you can use an oven-safe dish and place the rice in it. Add a little bit of oil and water. Break any lumps formed in rice. Cover the rice with a lid and let it cook.
Set the temperature to 150 degrees celsius and let it cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
Keep checking the rice in between to prevent it from being overcooked and ensure that it is cooked evenly.
- If you wish to reheat the rice in a microwave, place them in a microwave-safe dish. Into the rice, add a little bit of oil. Cover the microwave and let it cook for a few minutes.
In between, check the doneness of the rice using a fork.
How to store rice?
- Avoid cooling the rice for a long time at room temperature. This is because microbes can accelerate the spoilage of rice. Bacteria formed in the rice can release toxins and exposing the rice to heat would not destroy the toxins.
- If you do not have a sealed container to store the rice, you can also place it in a large utensil and cover it with a lid. Keep the utensil in the fridge. Another alternative is to use ziplock bags.
Before storing the rice in the bags, make sure to squeeze out the excess amount of air from the bags.
- You can also freeze the rice. For this purpose, allow the rice to cool before transferring the rice into a freezer bag. Squeeze out the air from the freezer bag before it is placed in the freezer.
- Thaw the rice by placing them overnight in the refrigerator. You can also directly add frozen rice to certain recipes to save time. This includes stews, soups, or casseroles.
If you are planning to reheat the thawed rice, place them on the stovetop. Add a little amount of water along with butter or oil and stir them constantly. Make sure to stir the rice gently to avoid smashing them.
- If you are planning to consume the rice in a short while, place them in a rice cooker. Click on the ‘keep warm’ button of the rice cooker.
This function will help retain the heat of the rice and the rice does not get cooked. It can be placed for 3 hours in the rice cooker.
Other FAQs on rice that you might be interested in.
Is freezing rice a beneficial technique to keep it fresh?
Some sources like Just one cookbook, claim that freezing rice is the best strategy to retain the freshness of the rice. Refrigerating rice can cause the rice to lose out on moisture causing them to become dry.
According to them, freezing rice has the following advantages:
- Freezing rice helps retain the moisture content of the rice if you have properly sealed the rice before placing them in a container. When you reheat the frozen rice, it tastes better than the refrigerated ones.
- Freezing extends the shelf-life of rice. Rice can be stored in the freezer for at least a month. In comparison, it can be stored in the fridge for not more than 1-2 days.
- If you have prepared a bulk of rice to save your time and effort, placing them in the freezer would be the best option as you do not have necessarily finish the rice within 1-2 days.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How to keep cooked rice fresh?” as well as provided information on methods to reheat rice and store them.