In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How to get to the Bonneville salt flats?” tips to keep in mind while visiting the flats, when to visit, as well as the activities to be done at the flats.
How to get to the Bonneville salt flats?
To get to the Bonneville salt flats, you would have to take exit 4 off interstate 80. Head to the north and follow the signs. When you reach the Leppy pass road, you would have to take a right. A parking area would be seen on the road.
It is recommended to go past the road only when the flats become dry. If the flat edges are thin, your vehicle can get stuck.
What needs to be kept in mind while traveling to salt flats?
- Make sure to head to the washroom before you go to the flats. This is because there are no restrooms or washrooms nearby flats.
- Buy food and drinks before visiting the flats. This is because there are no shops or hotels nearby to get food.
- Drive very carefully. Follow the signs provided on the road. Also, look out for warning signs. If you do not follow them, your vehicle is likely to get stuck in the mud.
- If you have to make important phone calls, do so before visiting the flats. This is because the cell phone coverage might be limited over there.
- You cannot camp in the flats. Make accommodations outside the flats and make sure that you return at least before the night starts.
- If you are driving to flats, make sure to drive gently and leave no damage to the flats. Do not throw trash or light fires and behave responsibly.
- Avoid driving by yourself if you are unfamiliar with the area. Bring an experienced professional driver.
- The salt flats are subject to various changes in temperature. Apply sunscreen to your nose and chin as well as other exposed parts of the body. Do not forget a hat and sunglasses.
If you are visiting for a Speedweek, it means you would have to spend several hours under the sun. Bring a shade tent and chairs in such a case. Bring plenty of water bottles as you would have to spend hours under the sun.
- If you have rented a car, make sure to pay the rental company. This is because the cars might undergo a lot of damage while driving through the salt flats as salts can spoil the car.
- Bring a camera to take pictures of the flat too.
- If you are bringing a dog, make sure to wash the paws of the dog intermittently as it can be tempted to lick the paws and fall ill.
- Bring an extra pair of shoes as your shoes can become extremely dirty while walking through the flats.
- Avoid driving during the nighttime as it can be extremely dangerous.
When should you visit Bonneville salt flats?
The best time to visit Bonneville salt flats is during the summer and fall. The temperature can get extremely hot during July or August though the roads can be dry and safe to drive around.
During the winter season, the weather is not quite good and the roads can be soggy and wet. If you drive on these wet grounds, it is likely to cause an accident!
Also, before visiting, check whether there are any events taking place. Also, if it has rained a day prior, avoid driving on the roads as the roads would not be safe to drive on.
What can you do at the Bonneville salt flats?
The best thing to do at the Bonneville salt flats is to use a camera and photograph the scenery. It is a desolate place but makes up for good scenery.
You can also look at the events taking place on the Bonneville flats. The International Speedway can be located in the northeast area of the Bonneville flats. It is also where the racing events take place.
The Speedweek lasts for six days. The visitors can also meet the drivers racing and learn more about the cars and the drivers.
Can you kayak on Bonneville salt flats?
No, you cannot kayak on the Bonneville salt flats. The canals are present on the east of the Bonneville flats but it is used for mining purposes and is not safe for visitors. Avoid swimming, kayaking, or doing anything for that matter in these canals.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How to get to the Bonneville salt flats?” tips to keep in mind while visiting the flats, when to visit, as well as the activities to be done at the flats.