How to get coconut oil out of your hair?
In this article, we will answer the question “How to get coconut oil out of your hair?”
How to get coconut oil out of your hair?
Rinsing with natural solutions
- Mix 1 teaspoon (4.9 mL) with your regular shampoo. Lather it into your scalp and rinse.
- Make a thick paste of 1-2 tablespoons (7-14 g) of baking soda with water. Apply this paste to your dry scalp emphasizing the oily areas. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Then rinse with warm water.
- Take about 8 fluid ounces (240 ml) of water in a bowl. Add to it freshly squeezed juice of 2 medium-sized lemons. Spray this mixture into your scalp. Let sit for 10-15 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
- Make an egg wash by beating 2-3 eggs and 32 fluid ounces (950 ml) of water in a bowl. Spray this eggwash into your scalp. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
Then rinse with cold or lukewarm water. Avoid using hot water to prevent the egg proteins from scrambling in your hair.
Using a No-Rinse Powder solution
- Use any dry shampoo to get rid of the excess coconut oil from your hair. Make sure It does not have talc in it. Alternatively, you can use cornstarch, baking soda, arrowroot powder, or baby powder.
- Sprinkle the dry shampoo all the way from the crown to the back of your head focusing only on roots and the oily areas. It is recommended to not use more than 1tsp of dry shampoo or else you will end up with a super dry scalp.
- Comb your hair until the dry powder disappears. Wash your hair with a liquid shampoo to get rid of the white cast especially If you have dark-colored hair.
Using water will prevent the coconut oil from solidifying and sticking to your hair. A thorough wash with warm water preferably with liquid shampoo will remove all the excess coconut oil from your hair.
Like lemon juice contains citric acid, vinegar contains acetic acid. The acid binds with the oil and helps cut down the excess coconut oil from your scalp. Add 2-3 tbsp of white vinegar in a cup of water and spray it into your scalp. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Wash with lukewarm water.
Apply the black tea solution with water to your scalp. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Then wash with lukewarm water. The astringency of the black tea, just like vinegar, helps get rid of the excess oil.
Paper towels have a great absorbing power. It can be used to get rid of that excess oil in case you cannot use shampoo. Press the paper towel into your scalp and gently rub it. Work your way through all the scalp emphasizing the oily areas or the crown of the head.
Mint and rosemary
Mint and rosemary have excellent hair rinsing properties. The essential oils in Mint and Rosemary boost hair growth.
Mix 1 tbsp of rosemary and mint in 2 cups of boiled water along with a few drops of lemon extract. Spray this mixture into your scalp and let sit for about 10 minutes. Wash and rinse with lukewarm water.
Make a thick paste of fuller’s earth with some water. Apply this paste to your scalp and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Fuller’s earth has excellent absorbing properties. The rich mineral profile of fuller’s earth helps improve blood circulation in the scalp.
Mix 1 tbsp of fuller’s earth with one pureed tomato. Apply this mixture to your scalp and let sit for about 30 minutes. The acid in the tomato will help cut down the excess oil from your scalp, maintain the scalp ph, and acts as a deodorizing agent.
Mix a cup of alcohol preferably vodka with 2 cups of water. Rinse your hair with this mixture after shampooing. Give your hair a final rinse with plain water after 10-15 minutes.
Make a thick paste of henna powder with some water and apply it to your scalp. Let sit for some time. The henna will suck the excess oil from your hair whilst imparting a shine and a softness to your hair.
Witch hazel oil
Apply a generous amount of conditioner (twice to the regular amount of conditioner you use) to your hair working your way from the scalp all the way to the tips. The conditioner will help cut down the excess coconut oil whilst nourishing your hair.
Other FAQs about Oils that you may be interested in.
In this article, we answered the question “How to get coconut oil out of your hair?”