In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How to fry uncooked rice?” methods and tips to fry uncooked rice.
How to fry uncooked rice?
To fry uncooked rice, soak the rice for at least 30 minutes followed by adding the rice to the pan filled with oil and veggies. Add water to the rice and veggies, cover the pan with a lid and cook. After the rice has absorbed the water, remove the lid of the pan and serve.
Fried rice recipe
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 2-3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Wash the long-grained uncooked rice in water thoroughly.
- Soak the rice for 30-35 minutes. Drain the water content of the rice using a colander.
- In a skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Cook over medium heat. Add the chopped onions to the pan and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the onions and mix them well for 20-30 seconds.
- Add the long grain rice to the onion and garlic mixture. Stir fry the entire thing for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of vegetable stock to the pan. If you do not have vegetable stock, use plain water. Add salt and pepper. Mix well and let it boil.
- When the mixture boils, lower the heat and cover the pan with a lid. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes by bringing the mixture to a simmer.
- Serve the rice when you have made sure that there are no liquid traces remaining in the pan and the rice has completely absorbed the water.
What are some tips to fry uncooked rice?
- If you are planning to fry the uncooked rice, it is essential to clean and wash the rice thoroughly.
- If you are planning to stir-fry rice, keep all the ingredients required to prepare the recipe beside you as there would be a limited amount of time present to retrieve the ingredients while frying the rice.
- If you are planning to fry rice, always use long-grained rice. This is because long-grained rice does not often stick to the pan while cooking and is also dry making it easier to cook.
Long-grained rice also retains its texture quite well making it an ideal choice for frying.
Long-grained rice that you can use for frying includes Basmati rice, Jasmine rice, or Sushi rice.
- Other options for rice would include medium grain rice or brown rice but it is better to use them chilled.
- It is essential to wash the rice before cooking to remove any dirt on the rice. Rice also contains starch which can make rice grains stick to each other. Washing the rice removes this starch too.
- Uncooked rice has to be fried before it is being boiled. This induces the caramelization of starch and adds some flavor to the rice. It also helps the rice grains to separate rather than stick together.
- Avoid consuming raw or uncooked rice as it is without cooking. Consuming raw rice can increase the risk of food poisoning. Raw rice contains Bacillus cereus which can induce food poisoning.
- To dry rice for preparing fried rice, you can spread the moist rice in a thin layer on the tray. Place this tray in the refrigerator and cool them for 15-20 minutes. This would prevent the rice from sticking to each other.
Place them in a freezer bag and freeze for a few hours.
- If you do not wish to boil the rice to cook it, place it in a microwave-safe bowl and cover the bowl with a lid. Microwave the rice for 15-20 minutes. The lid to cover the bowl should have a slight opening or hole to allow the steam to escape.
- Another way to cook raw rice without boiling is to toast them in a pan. Toast the rice in the pan till it becomes brown in color. You can add a little flavoring and butter to perk up the taste of the rice.
More FAQs on uncooked rice that you might be interested in.
Can consumption of uncooked rice make you sick?
Uncooked rice is not as tasty or flavorful as cooked rice. You can saute or boil the rice to cook them. It is easy for bacteria to grow on uncooked rice. Consumption of such uncooked rice can result in food poisoning.
If uncooked rice is kept at room temperature, spores can develop in the rice. These spores can turn into bacteria which can release toxins. These toxins can induce the symptoms of vomiting or diarrhea when consumed.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How to fry uncooked rice?” methods and tips to fry uncooked rice.