In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How to fry taquitos without toothpicks?” methods and tips to fry taquitos.
How to fry taquitos without toothpicks?
To fry taquitos without using toothpicks, spoon the taquitos with the fillings in the center, roll them in a cylindrical shape, and using tongs lower the taquitos into a pan of hot cooking oil with the folded part of the taquitos face down in the pan.
You can also use uncooked spaghetti to hold the taquitos in place. You can also roll the taquitos tightly which leaves no space for the taquito to break apart.
Deep-fried chicken taquitos
- 2 chicken breasts cut in the form of chunks and cooked
- 1 minced onion
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¾ cup grated cheese
- 10-15 corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- In a bowl, add salsa, chicken breasts, jalapeno pepper, lime juice, grated cheese, and cumin.
- Add oil to the skillet and heat the oil to a temperature of 350-370℉. Heat the oil to medium.
- Wrap the corn tortillas in a dry towel and microwave them for 1-2 minutes. After 1-2 minutes, remove the corn tortillas from the microwave and let them rest in the towel for 1-2 minutes. This would help in softening the tortillas.
- Spoon a tablespoon of filling into the center of the tortilla. Spread the tortilla into a line and roll it in a cylindrical shape.
- With the help of tongs, lower the tortilla into the skillet to deep-fry them. Place the folded part of the tortilla into the bottom of the pan as toothpicks are not being used. This would help in holding the tortillas in place and prevent them from opening up.
- Let the taquito fry for a few minutes. When the taquito browns, gently flip them over. This helps in cooking the other side of the taquito. The taquito should be nicely browned before removing them from the skillet.
- Remove the taquitos from oil using tongs and place them on a dry paper towel to remove excess oil content.
- Prepare the remaining taquitos in a similar manner. Serve with sour cream or guacamole.
Pan-fried chicken and cheese taquitos
- 1 red pepper
- 8-10 flour tortillas
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tbsp butter
- 200 gms chestnut mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
- In a pan, heat butter over medium heat. Add the pepper, garlic, and pepper and cook for a few minutes. Let the pepper and onion soften properly.
- Add the salt, mushrooms, and oregano. Mix properly.
- Using a spoon, transfer the filling inside the taquitos. Add the cheese inside the taquitos and roll them tightly. Secure it using uncooked spaghetti.
- In a frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook the taquitos for 5-6 minutes and flip them to cook them evenly. Fry the flautas in batches. Remove the uncooked spaghetti before serving.
What exactly are taquitos?
Taquitos are tacos that are rolled. It usually has a filling of cheese and meat. It is also called flautas or rolled tacos.
The taquitos are topped with sour cream, guacamole, or salsa. Taquitos can be fried or either baked. Frying though provides a crispier texture to it.
What are some tips to fry taquitos?
- Heat the taquitos in a microwave before frying them. This would soften the taquitos and also prevent them from breaking apart quickly.
- Before frying, to keep the taquitos closed, you can whisk in egg wash of two tablespoons of water to one beaten egg. Apply this outside the tortilla. This would help in holding the taquito in its place.
- If the taquito is dry, it would require a little bit of moisture to prevent it from opening. In such a scenario, you can place the taquito in a steamer basket over which there is hot boiling water.
- Fry the taquitos in batches. Avoid stacking one over the other while cooking as this would result in the taquitos not being cooked appropriately and also lower the temperature of the oil.
- While deep-frying, it is better to have a splatter screen to prevent the oil from splattering on you.
- Use oils with a high smoke point if you opt for frying. Vegetable oils have a high smoke point. Avoid frying in virgin olive oil or unrefined oils.
- Avoid overstuffing the taquitos with filling. Only one tablespoon of the filling is required or else the taquitos can break apart easily.
- For cooking chicken taquitos, you can cook them in a stockpot or a slow cooker.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How to fry taquitos without toothpicks?” methods and tips to fry taquitos.