How to fry smoked sausage?
In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How to fry smoked sausage?” methods and tips to fry smoked sausage.
How to fry smoked sausage?
To fry smoked sausage, cut the sausage into 1 or 2-inch slices and place them on a non-stick skillet containing oil with medium heat. Cook for 6-9 minutes and flip them constantly to cook it evenly.
- 7-8 ounces smoked sausage
- Yellow mustard (for serving)
- Sweet relish (for serving)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Few french-fried onions (garnishing)
- Water for boiling
- Wash the sausage in water and slice the sausage length-wise by 1 inch.
- On the casting side, make small cuts. This would help the water to seep in while cooking.
- In a skillet, keep the sausage. Cover the skillet with water. Add salt to the water and close the skillet using a lid.
- Let the sausage simmer for at least 8 minutes. Open the lid and check the water content. Drain the water and wipe the sausage dry using a dry paper towel.
- Heat oil in another pan and fry the sausage for 1-2 minutes. Serve with yellow mustard and sweet relish.
What are the tips that need to be followed for frying sausage?
- For pan-frying, cut the sausage in 1 inch or even half an inch. This would ensure that the sausage would be fried evenly.
- Cook the sausage in medium heat to avoid it from burning or scorching.
- Uncooked smoked sausage needs to be cooked at a temperature of 160℉. The interior of a cooked sausage should at least have a temperature between 140-150℉.
- To check whether the sausage is cooked properly, you can cut one at the center. If the meat is firm, you can stop cooking. If the meat is runny, it needs to be cooked more.
- Slice the sausages to shorten the cooking time of the sausages. You can slit them from end to end or slice them in the shape of a butterfly. Place the slit part down on the pan while cooking.
- You can pan-fry the sausages to retain the juices or fats in the sausage. This would also help in creating a crispy sausage and also cook the interiors of the sausage well.
- Sausages are usually fatty because of which you would only require a little bit of oil. The fat is trapped in the sausages because of which a little oil is required to fry the sausage and prevent it from burning.
- Be cautious if you are planning to use olive oil for cooking. Olive oil has a low smoke point and can affect the taste of the sausages. You can instead use vegetable oil for frying.
- Place the sausages on the pan one by one and keep the sausages apart from each other without touching, while frying them.
- You can instead cook the sausages in batches. Avoid stacking them one on top of one another and then cooking them.
- If the sausages are attached to each other, you would need to separate them before frying.
- Cook the sausage using a set of tongs to prevent the oil from splattering in your hands.
- Flatten the sausages using a heavy utensil like a heavy skillet or pan while cooking. This would help in cooking the sausages effectively.
- Large sausages can take a longer time to cook well. Steam the sausages to cook them effectively. Cook the sausage till it turns brown in color and cover the sausages using a lid while it is steaming.
- For boiling the sausages, you can use a mixture of liquids rather than plain water to impart flavor to the sausage. This could be chicken broth, wine, beer, stock, or tomato sauce.
Boiling the sausages helps in protecting the fat content present in the sausages.
- If you are using a burner to boil the sausage, use the highest possible setting to do so. This will help in boiling water quickly.
- The leftover oil present after pan-frying the sausages can be used to stir-fry other dishes. This would impart the flavor of sausages to other dishes too.
More FAQs on smoked sausage that you might be interested in.
How can you cook smoked but raw sausage?
You would have to boil the sausages for ten minutes. After boiling them for ten minutes, you can brown the sausages by frying, grilling, or broiling them.
What happens if you consume undercooked sausage?
Trichinosis is an illness caused by consuming raw or uncooked meats that are affected especially by worms. The symptoms of this illness would include diarrhea, headaches, fever, chills, and abdominal pain.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How to fry smoked sausage?” methods and tips to fry smoked sausage.