In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “How to fry gizzards tender?”, discuss answers to other related questions like how do you know when gizzards are done, and what are the health benefits of gizzards.
How to fry gizzards tender?
To fry gizzard tender, you should boil gizzard before frying them. Cooking gizzards in a pressure cooker before frying can also serve the purpose as you can get even more tender gizzards in a pressure cooker than boiling. There is one more way to fry gizzard tender, you can simmer gizzards and braise them, and this too works well.
Make sure that you cool the gizzards in buttermilk for atleast 2 hours (adding a little vinegar to whole milk also works) after you pressure cook, boil, or braise them. The milk and the vinegar will help break down some of the tough tissues, and pull out some of the gamy taste that gizzards usually have.
6 easy steps to make fried chicken gizzards
To fry chicken gizzards tender, follow the directions given below:
- First of all, you need to boil the gizzards. For this, put the gizzards in a large stockpot. Add enough water, some salt, and pepper to the pot. Place the pot over the stove and let it boil (You can also add a stalk of celery or even a bay leaf for extra flavor). Boil for atleast 45 minutes for more tender gizzards.
- Once boiled, drain water and allow the gizzards to cool. It is recommended to cool gizzards in buttermilk for 2 hours so that their tough tissues are broken down.
- Meanwhile, prepare 2 bowls for dredging. In one bowl, take 2 beaten eggs, and in the other bowl prepare a mixture of flour, salt, and pepper. You can also add bread crumbs seasoned with salt and pepper for crunchier breading.
- Now, dip each gizzard in the bowl containing beaten eggs and then in the flour mixture.
- Drop the well-coated gizzards into preheated oil in a fryer. When the gizzards float to the top, they are done.
- With the help of a spatula designed for frying, remove the fried gizzards from the oil with care and lay them on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the extra grease. Serve hot and ENJOY!
How do you know when gizzards are done?
Like other meat products, it depends on the size of the gizzard and the state of the gizzard, if it is frozen or thawed. If gizzards are frozen, you need to thaw them first and then cook. If the gizzards are at room temperature, then cook until it gains the internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. It will be done when it will start floating over the surface of the oil in the deep fryer or when it is a fork-tender.
If the gizzard is cut into smaller pieces, then it will need to be cooked till the gravy or sauce is done. The bits of meat will be cooked enough when the sauce is finished.
Is it safe to eat gizzard?
Well yes! Gizzards are perfectly safe and nutritious. But they are probably the most disputed food item when it comes to chicken parts. But you need to know that they are nutritious and go well with boiled rice and vegetable seasoning.
Moreover, boiling is a technique that utilizes boiling water at a temperature of 212 degrees Fahrenheit. At this temperature, most of the microorganisms are killed. Given this, when you boil something in the water, the heat is indirectly transferred to the food product which is then cooked. Using a temperature thermometer to check the doneness of chicken and the absence of microorganisms is the best way to go!
Therefore, you can say that there is no harm in eating gizzards if you want to give them a try. This section is to clear up the misunderstanding that you should not eat gizzards, you can! However, it is not like you should, but you can if you like.
What are the health benefits of gizzards?
The gizzard is one of the most nutritious parts of the chicken. It is high in proteins and vitamins but low in fat. The protein in a cup of gizzard can satisfy your 88% of recommended daily intake. Vitamins, particularly vitamin B12, are essential for brain functioning and forming white blood cells. Consuming gizzards will lead to increased levels of iron, phosphorus, and zinc. Iron helps your body to form red blood cells, phosphorus benefits heart and muscle function, and zinc improves immune system functions.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “How to fry gizzards tender?”, discussed answers to other related questions like how do you know when gizzards are done, and what are the health benefits of gizzards.