In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How to fry fish without flour?” instructions to keep in mind while frying and substitutes that can be used instead of flour for frying fish.
How to fry fish without flour?
In order to fry fish without flour, sprinkle the fish with salt, pepper and fry the fish in a skillet containing oil. Cook the fish for a few minutes and flip it once it gets cooked on one side so that the other side gets cooked as well.
How to fry fish?
- 8-ounce white fish fillet
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil for frying
- Minced herbs for garnishing
- Pat the fish dry using a towel.
- Sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil or butter in the pan. Sprinkle a little bit of water in the pan. If the water starts sizzling, your fish is ready to be cooked.
- Keep the fish in the pan.
- Cook the fish for 3-5 minutes. This would help in cooking the fish and make it brown and crispy.
- Flip the fish and let the other side of the fish get cooked as well. Add salt and pepper to the other side of the fish as well.
- Let the other side of the fish cook for 3-5 minutes as well. When the fish gets cooked, it would have an opaque shape.
- Remove the fish from the pan using a spatula. Garnish the fish with minced herbs or squeeze lemon juice on it.
Which fish is good for frying?
If you are planning to fry fish on the stove, use a white fish fillet. You can also use any lean fish. Fishes like bass, cod, tilapia, haddock, grouper, snapper, or catfish can also be used.
You can also ask the fish seller if you are planning to fry the fish and hear the fish seller’s recommendations.
How many fish fillets can be cooked in a day?
You can cook 6-8 ounce fish fillets in a day as that would be enough for many people. In a single pan, you can cook many fish fillets.
What can I use instead of flour to coat the fish?
Instead of flour, you can use cornmeal or bread crumbs to fry the fish. You can also use milk and beaten eggs to further thicken the coating of fish.
For this, you can further coat the fish by dipping it in milk and beaten eggs followed by dipping it in cornmeal.
If you wish to deep fry the fish without any breading, you can also use crushed cereals, crackers, or tortilla chips.
What instructions need to be kept in mind before frying fish in a pan?
- Remember to use a heavy pan. It does not necessarily have to be a non-stick pan.
- Choose oils that have a high smoke point. You can use any vegetable oil for frying.
- Before adding oil to the pan, heat it. If there is water in the pan and you add oil to it, the oil would splatter. As a result, heat the pan first to remove the water content and then add the oil.
This will also ensure that the pan is hot enough to add the oil.
- Dry the fish before adding it to the pan containing oil.
- If you are cooking fish on the stove, avoid using a thinner pan to fry the fish. This is because a thinner pan will result in the fish having direct contact with increased heat. This would cause the fish to brown and cook unevenly.
- If the fish sticks to the pan, avoid moving it. You would be able to move the fish once it becomes crispy and cooked.
To ensure whether the fish is cooked or not, give it a slight push. If it does not move, allow it to cook for a few minutes before moving them.
What sauces can you add to the fish?
Some sauces that can be added to the fish include creamy dill sauce, lemon butter sauce, prawn dipping sauce, or lemon cream sauce.
Other FAQs about fish that you may be interested in.
What are some tips to buy fish?
Buy fishes that are plump and bright. Inspect the eyes of the fish as well. Fresh fishes would have bright eyes. Cook fish on the day you purchase it as fish is perishable. If you intend to store fish for a long time, you can place it in the freezer as well.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How to fry fish without flour?” instructions to keep in mind while frying and substitutes that can be used instead of flour for frying fish.