In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How to fry corn beef hash?” and tips to cook corn beef hash as well as two methods to cook them.
How to fry corn beef hash?
Corn beef hash can be fried by cooking it in a pan with vegetable oil or canola oil on high heat. Canned corn beef hash is already cooked so you would need to only reheat it.
If corn beef hash is cooked at a high temperature for a long time, it becomes tough and firm rather than soft.
What is a corn beef hash?
Corn beef hash is a food made up of potatoes, onions, and meat prepared in a skillet. It is a great dish that can help you in using up any leftovers.
What needs to be kept in mind while preparing corn hash beef?
- The potatoes need to be chopped uniformly. This would help in reducing the cooking time and the potatoes would cook quickly.
- While buying potatoes, choose the ones that have a baking variety.
- For cooking potatoes, place the potatoes in cold water and let them come to a boil so that the potatoes get cooked from the center. Add salt to the water containing potatoes as the potatoes take in salt.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and allow them to cool off. The more the potato dries off, the more crispy it would become.
In a colander, shake the potatoes well so that the edges of the potato roughen a bit and the potatoes turn crispy.
- If you want to make the potatoes crispy, fry them in the beginning before adding onions. Remove them from the pan after adding onions and add the fried potatoes again in the end.
- Use an iron skillet for preparing the dish as iron helps in conducting heat properly. This would also contribute to making your potatoes crispy. If you do not have an iron skillet, you can go for a non-stick one.
- You can incorporate red bell peppers in the dish and use sweet potatoes instead of ordinary potatoes as well.
- While you are almost about to finish cooking, top the dish with eggs and cover the lid of the pan to let the eggs cook for a while.
How to cook corn beef hash?
You can prepare corn beef hash using canned corn beef or using leftover corned beef that you prepared at home. Below are the two techniques to prepare them.
Using leftover corn beef
- 1 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cups cooked corn beef
- 2 cups potatoes (¾ to 1-inch cubes)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp horseradish
- Pepper to taste
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 fried egg
- Heat butter in an iron skillet. Add onions to the butter and saute well. Add garlic and cook for at least 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked potatoes and corn beef to the skillet. Press them down gently using a spoon or a spatula.
- Do not stir after pressing the mixture and let it cook. Cook the mixture until it turns brown in color. You can use the spatula to check whether the mixture has been browning from below.
When browned, you can flip the mixture to the other side so that the other part browns as well.
- If the mixture is sticking to the skillet, add a little bit more butter.
- Add parsley, horseradish, salt, and pepper. Stir it properly.
- Top the mixture up with a fried egg.
Using canned corn beef
- 2 cups potatoes
- 1 cup onion
- 2 cups canned corn beef
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt to taste
- White pepper to taste
- Brown sauce to taste
- 1 poached egg
- Oil for cooking
- In a large pot, fill potatoes with cold water and add salt. Bring it to a boil. Use a knife to determine the doneness of potatoes. Drain the potatoes and let them dry.
Shake the potatoes in a colander. This will rough up the edges of the potatoes and help in making them crispy.
- Pour oil in the pan, enough to cover the base of the pan. When the oil is hot enough, add the potatoes. Fry the potatoes till it turns crispy.
- Add the onions and saute them well for 3 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce along with corned beef and pepper. Mix them well. You can toss the pan to combine everything.
Don’t stir too much as the whole mixture can turn mushy.
- Top the corn beef hash with a poached egg. Serve with brown sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How to fry corn beef hash?” and tips to cook corn beef hash as well as two methods to cook them.