In this article, we will answer the question “How to fix a steamed pudding that is not cooked in the middle?”, and how to make instant pot steamed syrup sponge pudding?
Read on if you want to know how to fix a soggy Christmas pudding.
How to fix a steamed pudding that is not cooked in the middle?
If the steamed pudding is undercooked in the middle, it needs some extra time for cooking. Cover the surface of the pudding with a disc of baking paper.
Then wrap the pudding in foil. Steam the pudding for an additional 15-30 minutes and insert a skewer in the center of the pudding to check for doneness. If the skewer comes out clean, the pudding is ready.
Alternatively, you can use a saucepan filled with water, to steam your undercooked pudding. This method can be carried out with or without a steamer. If you opt for a steamer, make sure the water is boiling and remains below the rim of the pudding basin.
If you do not have a steamer, lower the pudding basin(make sure it is watertight by wrapping it in foil) into a saucepan filled with water that is maintained at a simmering temperature.
Instant pot steamed syrup sponge pudding
- 4 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 2 tbsp white breadcrumbs (use gluten-free breadcrumbs if you have an allergy)
- 150 g soft butter (plus 1 tsp for greasing)- you can also use walnut oil or suet instead of butter
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 150 g self-raising flour (use gluten-free flour if you have an allergy)
- 4 tbsp milk
- Generously grease a 1 liter (1.5 pints) pudding basin with butter. Cover the bottom of the pudding basin with golden syrup. Then evenly spread the breadcrumbs. The breadcrumbs impart a very light texture to the pudding and are essential for a fluffy pudding.
- Fill a kettle with water and bring it to a boil.
- In a large bowl, whip the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Then beat in the vanilla extract, lemon extract, and eggs(one at a time).
- Fold in the flour until just combined. Lightly stir in the flour. Avoid overmixing as it can toughen the sponge.
- Tip the bowl into the pudding basin and cover it with the lid. You can also use a disc of baking paper and foil as a makeshift lid. Tuck the foil under the rim of the pudding basin and secure it with a kitchen string or elastic band.
- Place a trivet in the inner pot and fill the pot with the boiling water from the kettle such that it comes up to the 2-liter mark inside.
- Lower the pudding basin into the pot. Cover the pot with a lid and open the valve. Set to Steam and set a timer to 20 minutes. Use a timer to measure 20 minutes.
- When the time is up, close the valve, press Cancel then press Manual. Allow the pudding to cook on high for 25 minutes.
- Let the pot naturally release pressure before removing the pudding from the pot.
- Remove the lid and foil. Slide a knife on the inside edges of the pudding. Flip the pudding onto a serving platter.
How do you fix a soggy Christmas pudding?
Warm your soggy pudding in a microwave or a 150c oven for 5-10 minutes. If the pudding still tastes too heavy or soggy, your best bet is to start all over again.
The Christmas pudding turned out soggy mostly because water got into it while steaming. This happens if the pudding basin was not properly covered with foil and baking paper. The water may also get into your pudding if the water in the pan is boiled too hard.
The best way to avoid a soggy pudding is to make sure the pudding basin is watertight before you begin steaming it. Another important factor is the level and temperature of water in the saucepan.
The water level should be kept below the rim of the pudding basin. Since the pudding requires hours of steaming, the water should be maintained at a simmering temperature.
Last but not least, use a large pleated piece of baking paper and foil to cover the pudding. If the pudding does not have enough room to expand, it will inevitably turn out to be soggy.
Other FAQs about Pudding that you may be interested in.
In this article, we answered the question “How to fix a steamed pudding that is not cooked in the middle?”, and how to make instant pot steamed syrup sponge pudding?