In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “How to drink rum?” With an in-depth analysis of the health benefits and adverse effects of rum consumption. Moreover, we are going to discuss the nutritional value and storage of the rum.
How to drink rum?
You can drink rum by putting a splash of ice or water and a slice of lime in it like whisky.
You can also drink it neat by putting it in a small glass.
What is Rum?
Rum is a brandy distilled from sugarcane which contains the natural flavour and sugarcane soils.
Caramel, vanilla, spice and nutmeg are also added to the rum which gives a good quality to the rum.
Rum is made from sugar either sugarcane or by-products of the sugars such as molasses.
What is the taste of the rum?
The rum used to have a sweet taste.
The taste of the different kinds of the rum is as follows;
- White rum used to be dry and has a sweet taste.
- Caramel is added to the gold rum giving it a caramel flavour.
- Dark rum aged in oak puts the wood flavour to it too.
- Fruit flavoured rum has natural juices added to it too.
- In spiced rums, natural herbs and spices are added which gives it a spicy taste too.
How is a rum produced?
There are three methods used for manufacturing the rum.
Rum is made in the following ways;
- By the fermentation of the sugarcane juice
- By creating concentrated syrup from the sugarcane and then fermenting the syrup
- By making the molasses from the sugarcane juice and then fermenting the molasses
What is mixed with the rum to drink it?
You can mix the following things in the rum to drink it;
- Ice, lime, and cola
- Apple juice
- Coconut water
- Ginger beer or ginger ale
What are the health benefits of rum?
Some of the health benefits of the rum are as follows;
- The alcohol in the rim is responsible for the reduction of hrespressit is taken in moderate amounts.
- Studies have also shown that if alcohol is taken in a lighter or a moderate amount, it also decreases the risk of heart diseases.
- Research has also shown rum is helpful against diabetes.
What are the adverse health effects of the rum?
Alcohol should be taken in moderate amounts only otherwise it can have serious health consumption.
The moderate level of alcohol is 1 glass per day for women and two glasses per day for males.
Some of the adverse effects of the excessive rum consumption are as follows;
- Excessive use of alcohol causes serious brain adaptation that can increase stress and anxiety.
- It can also decrease the immunity in the body making people susceptible to diseases such as pneumonia.
- Excessive alcohol consumption can also lead to obesity and obesity.
What is the nutritional value of the rum?
According to the USDA,1.5 ounces or the 42 grams of the rum has the nutritional value as follows;
- Calories: 97
- Fat: 0
- Sodium: 0.42
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Fibre: 0
- Sugars: 0
- Protein: 0
- Alcohol: 14g
How to properly store the rum?
Proper storage of the rum is necessary to prevent it from getting worse.
While storing the rum, you should keep in mind the following things;
- Tightly seal the rum bottles.
- Keep both the opened and unopened rum in a cool and dry place.
- Try to keep it away from the direct sunlight.
- Don’t store the rum bottles with an attached pourer to prevent evaporation.
Can you keep the rum in the freezer?
Yes! You can keep the rum in the freezer.
But make sure to keep the temperature of the freezer minus 18 degrees celsius or 0° Fahrenheit.
Can your rum go bad?
Yes! Unopened rum can go bad if it is not properly stored.
If the rum is kept unopened, it will not spoil and retain its taste and quality.
But once you open the bottle of rum, you can store it for years but if it is exposed to direct sunlight, it will go off.
It also starts changing its taste as it reacts with the oxygen, that’s why you should use unopened rum within two years.
Here are the signs of the off rum and its adverse effects on health if drunk.
Other FAQs about Rum that you may be interested in.
Can you eat runny eggs when breastfeeding?
Can you eat rum cake when pregnant?
Can you eat rum balls when pregnant?
In this brief guide, we answered the question “How to drink rum?” With an in-depth analysis of the health benefits and adverse effects of rum consumption. Moreover, we discussed the nutritional value and storage of the rum.