In this article, we will answer the question “How to counteract too much garlic?”, and how to make garlic bread at home?
How to counteract too much garlic?
Onion: Onion makes for a great seasoning. The rich and concentrated flavor of onion competes with the pungent flavor of garlic to produce a somewhat neutral flavor.
Aromatic herbs: Aromatic herbs add sweet earthy tones to your flavor and tone the strong flavor of garlic. However, you must not overdo the aromatic herbs, or else you will end up with a bitter-tasting dish.
Acidic ingredient: Acidic ingredients like freshly squeezed lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice or vinegar can help balance the pungent flavor of garlic.
Creamy ingredient: Fat helps cut through the intense garlic flavor. It coasts your mouth palate and further reduces the perceived flavor of the garlic. Add creamy ingredients like cream, milk, or cheese to your dish to cancel the garlic flavor. Coconut milk makes for a great vegan creamy substitute.
Add a sweetener: Add honey, white or brown sugar to your overly garlicky dish. This hack works best to fix overly garlicky casserole, chili, curry, or a stew. Start by adding only a teaspoon of the sweetener at once.
This will ensure that you do not ruin the true flavor of your dish. Cool flavors further enhance upon chilling the dish. Therefore, you must add a little sweetener at a time.
Dilute the dish: Make another portion of the same dish and add only a little garlic or cut it down altogether from the recipe. Then mix the two batches and adjust the spices. Donate the extra food to your friends and family or freeze it for later.
Add some salt: Salt helps to season the dish and distract the heavy garlic flavor of your dish. Add only a pinch of salt at a time if you do not want to end up with an overly salty dish.
Simmer the dish on low heat: Raw garlic tends to be more pungent than cooked garlic. The longer you simmer the garlic, the less harsh the garlic will taste. Keep an eye on your dish while it simmers so that you do not accidentally burn it.
Rest the dish overnight: If you leave your dish overnight in the fridge, it will have more balanced flavors. Overnight refrigeration will mellow down the heavy garlic flavor and make your dish palatable without even trying any hack.
Add more dressing: If you are dealing with a garlic heavy dressing, add more of the base ingredients to tone down the garlic flavor. The base ingredient could be mayo, cream cheese, mustard, sour cream or yogurt, etc.
Add a potato: Cut a peeled potato into quarters and place them in the dish while it cooks. Remove the potatoes before serving your dish. Potatoes do an excellent job at absorbing the intense flavors, be it salt or garlic.
How to make the best garlic bread?
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 (1 pound) loaf Italian bread, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 (8 ounces) package shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ or 175℃.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When the butter starts to sizzle, stir in the garlic powder and parsley.
- Set the Italian bread on a medium-sized baking tray. Then baste the bread with the butter mixture using a brush.
- Bake the bread in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until lightly toasted. Then remove the tray from the oven and baste with the remaining butter mixture. Sprinkle the cheese over the bread and bake again until the cheese melts.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
How to make Lebanese garlic sauce (Toum) at home?
- 1 cup garlic cloves peeled
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 3 cups neutral oil such as canola or safflower
- ½ cup lemon juice
- Cut the garlic cloves vertically.
- Process the sliced garlic cloves and salt in a food processor until the garlic is minced. Scrape down the sides of the food processor to make sure all the garlic is minced evenly.
- Now add 1-2 tbsp of oil into the running food processor. Then stop and scrape the food processor. Repeat the process until the garlic turns creamy and the oil looks emulsified.
- Now start adding the lemon juice in increments along with the rest of the oil. Do this process until all the oil and lemon juice is used up. This should take about 15 minutes.
- Refrigerate the sauce overnight in a glass container covered with a paper towel.
- Cover the container with a tight lid the next day. Keep the sauce for up to 3 months in the fridge.
In this article, we answered the question “How to counteract too much garlic?”, and how to make garlic bread at home?