How to cook steak in a convection oven? (3 steps only)
In this article, we will answer the question “How to cook steak in a convection oven?”, and how to broil steak in a gas oven?
How to cook steak in a convection oven?
- Preheat your oven at 300℉. Roast the steak for 15 minutes then rotate to cook the other side for about 10 minutes. The steak does not need to be rotated in a convection oven because of its built-in even heating system.
- Cut down the temperature by 25℉ when roasting your steak in a convection oven.
- Roasting time will vary with the thickness and size of your steak. Your best bet is to first pan sear the steak for a crisp and golden crust that seals in the juices followed by baking in the oven. This will prevent the steak form drying.
How to broil steak in a gas oven?
- Adjust the setting of your oven to “Broil”. Let the oven preheat in the broiler setting.
- Let the pan heat for about 5 more minutes after placing the broiler pan into the broiling section of the oven.
- Lightly rub your steak with some olive oil. This will keep the steak form sticking to the bottom of the broiling pan. Adding too much oil will burn it so go easy.
- Take out the heated broiler pan form the oven and carefully place your steak on it. Slide the broiler pan into the broiling section. The closer the steak is to the heta, the faster It will cook.
The top rack notches are used to cook your steak rare to medium and the bottom notches are used when you want your steak medium-well or well-done.
- Broil each side of the steak for 8 minutes. If the steak does not develop a brown crust, broil for another 2 minutes.
- When done, take out the steak form the broiler pan and season with salt and pepper. Let the steak lose some heat by placing it on the cutting board.
This will also help the steak settle and divide its juices evenly throughout. If you cut it immediately after removing form the oven, the juices will leak leaving behind a flavorless and dry steak.
|6-7 minutes each side
|9-10 minutes each side
Other FAQs about Steak which you may be interested in.
Convection broil vs Broil
There are two heating elements in a regular oven, the one on the bottom of the oven is used to bake food and give It a crispy base while the one on the top of the oven is used for broiling. The more close the food is to any of these heating elements, the faster It will cook.
Unlike the regular oven, a convection oven distributes heat with a fan and is equipped with three types of heating elements. The fan ensures even heat distribution and even cooking while also cooking the food faster.
The recipe directions for a regular oven can be slightly modified and used for the convection oven. First, reduce the temperature of your convection oven by 25 degrees than the temperature directed in the recipe for a regular oven.
Keep a check on your food when cooking it in a convection oven because It will cook faster than in a regular oven.
Selecting a steak
There are different types of steaks like t-bone, rib eye and tri-tip steak. If the steak is marbled fat, It is definitely going to be more juice, tender and flavorful. But these steaks are not that good for health. Go for lean cuts of meat If you are health conscious.
A 100-gram rib eye steak contains about 186 calories; 63% of these calories are provided by the proteins and 37% comes form the fat, according to the USDA. A 100-gram t-bone contains 211 calories; 54% of these calories are provided by the proteins while 46% comes form the fat.
A healthy beef should have a burgundy color. When kept in open air for about 15 minutes, It should turn somewhat red in appearance. Refrigerated steak should be consumed within 3-5 days or stored in the freezer for extend shelf-life. During this time, the steak will naturally develop a little darker color.
Most popular types of steak
Porterhouse/T-bone, both, are the beef cut form the short loin. They are juicy, tender and are considered the ebay quality. Ribeye steak, also referred to as the “Beauty Steak” comes form the rib section.
Flank steak is lema beef cut and comes orm the abdominal or lower chest region of the steer. It is perfect for rilling, roasting, broiling, or sautéing. Filet mignon comes form the tenderloin, is expensive and well known for its tender and buttery flavor.
In this article, we answered the question “How to cook steak in a convection oven?”, and how to broil steak in a gas oven?