In this article, we will answer the question “How to cook rice in the microwave for a single serving?”, and what are the advantages of cooking rice in a microwave?
Easy ways to cook rice in a microwave for a single serving
Clean the rice:
- Remove if any kind of unwanted particles (pebbles or dust) are present in the rice.
- Measure the amount of rice.
- Properly rinse under running water 2-3 times.
- Add an appropriate amount of drinking water to the rice in a microwavable bowl.
- Recheck the accuracy of the level of water.
Put the rice bowl in the microwave (uncovered):
- Insert the bowl in the microwave (uncovered), i.e., the lid of the bowl should be removed.
- Set the power (highest) and allow it to cook for 10 minutes. For example: If the highest power is 10 then set it at 10 for 10 minutes.
Again put the rice bowl in the microwave (covered):
- After the rice is cooked at high power for 10 minutes, check if the level of the rice has raised to the initial water level. In case if it hasn’t removed the excess water present in the bowl.
- Set the power at medium this time, cover it with the microwave bowl lid and allow it to cook for another 15 minutes. For example, if the medium power present in the microwave is 5, then set it at 5 for the next 15 minutes.
Allow the rice to stand (covered):
- After following the above steps, allow the already covered bowl to stand undisturbed in the microwave for 5 more minutes.
- By following this step, the grains will absorb the steam and the rice will become even fluffier.
- Hence, you are ready to have your rice!
Here, do not forget to remove the bowl only after wearing hand gloves. Or else, in a hurry you might end up burning your hand.
Quantity of rice for a single serving
Rice is to water ratio should be maintained always. It can be said as the most crucial part. More amount water can make the rice soft and unfavorable for the palate. While less water can make it hard leading to difficulty in chewing and digestion.
For long, medium, and short-grain of white rice:
|Rice (per serving)||Water|
|2 cups of rice|
|2 cups of rice||2 ½ cups of water|
|2 cups of rice|
Advantages of cooking rice in a microwave
- Helps to cut expenses
We all know microwave is an all-purpose use appliance. We can cook, bake and hit food all the time in a microwave. Therefore, cooking rice in the microwave automatically reduces the burden of having a pressure cooker or in a pot.
- No compromise with the nutritional value
Nowadays we all run our lives with a hectic and busy schedule. But even after being busy people do not like to compromise with the taste and nutritional value of the food they consume. Many people think that cooking rice in the microwave might reduce the nutrition present in it.
No! It is a completely wrong idea. Cooking the rice in the microwave will bring no difference neither to the taste nor to the nutritional factors present in the rice. The number of calories: (1119.1kcal), carbohydrates (246.7g), protein (20.8g), fat (1.7g), sodium (31mg), potassium (272.3mg), fiber 97.3g), sugar (0.1g), calcium (46.9mg) and iron (10mg) remain the same as compared to the rice cooked in pressure cooker or pot.
- No headache during reheating
Yes, no headache during reheating. I will explain how. Well if you cook the rice in the microwave there is no need of changing bowls. You can cook the rice, refrigerate it, and again re-heat it in the same bowl. In this way, you can save both energy and time.
- Use of microwave: less mess, less time consumption
Using a pressure cooker means cleaning all the parts by unwrapping them part by part. On the contrary, the microwave bowl contains only the bowl and the lid. Cleaning it is hardly going to take a few minutes. Hence, you can save a lot of time!
- Taste of the rice cooked in the microwave
Well, I have cooked rice in the microwave. Therefore, I can certainly assure you that rice cooked in the microwave tastes, smells, and looks the same as cooked in the pressure cooker or pot. Moreover, there is also no compromise with the nutritional value. Everything remains perfectly the same.
In this article, we answered the question “How to cook rice in the microwave for a single serving?”, and what are the advantages of cooking rice in a microwave? Therefore, no more worries about cooking rice. Use the microwave and prepare it instantly!