How to cook pistachios? (3 Ways how)
In this article, we will answer the question “How to cook pistachios?”, and how to make chili roasted pistachios?
How to cook pistachios?
In the oven
If you are short on time and you have more than half a cup of pistachios to roast in single batch, toasting in the oven is a great idea. Follow the instructions below to get started.
- Slide the oven rack in the middle of the oven. If you are roasting two batches at once, use two racks at once.
- Preheat the oven 350 °F or 177 °C for about 15-20 minutes.
- Line a mesh bottom baking tray with parchment paper. This akes it easier to remove roasted pistachios from the tray.
- Spread pistachios evenly on the rimmed baking tray in a single layer.
- Slide the tray in the preheated oven. Let the pistachios roast for 6-8 minutes or until they are fragrant and develop a light brown color on the surface.
- To check if they pistachios are fully roasted, cut one or two pistachios in half. They should have an even pale brown color through. After about 3-4 minutes, take out the baking tray and stir the pistachios to ensure ven roasting.
- Remove the tray from the oven once the pistachios are roasted. Let them cool for 15-20 minutes on the counter.
- Transfer the roasted pistachios to an air-tight container for up to 1-2 weeks.
On the stovetop
A skillet is the perfect weapon to roast a handful of pistachios. Follow the instructions below to roast the pistachios on the stovetop or in the skillet.
- Place a large non-stick skillet on the stovetop. It should have raised walls so that the pistachios do not fall out of the skillet during roasting and spluttering.
- Add the pistachios to the skillet. Do not overcrowd. Spread them in an even layer and make sure they do not stack on top of each other.
- While roasting, keep stirring the pistachios frequently to prevent burning and promote even browning. Use a spatula or swirl using the hahndle of the skillet.
- After roasting, transfer the roasted pistachios to a plate and let them cool off.
- Keep the roasted pistachios in an air-tight container for up to 1-2 weeks.
Adding seasoning to pistachios
Roast pistachios with any seasoning you like. You can use plain sea salt or go overboard with the seasoning and use curry powder. Roast the pistachios in the oven for 15 minutes at 350 °F. To make sweet and smoky roasted pistachios, use the following ingredients for seasoning:
- 1 cup unshelled raw pistachios
- 20 tspextra virgin olive oil
- 20 tsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
Why do we roast pistachios?
- The roasting process causes the release of essential oils that enhance the flavor profile of pistachios.
- Roasting makes the nuts crispy which adds a lot of texture to your salads and baked goods.
- Roasting makes the nutty flavor of the pistachios more pronounced while extending the shelf life of the nut.
How to prepare pistachios for toasting?
- Buy plain pistachios from the any grocery store or farmer’s market.
- If pistachios are a consistent part of your diet, buy them in bulk because pistachios are quite expensive especially if bought in smaller amounts.
- Remove the shels of the pistachios using thumb pressure. Alternatively bite the shell careful using your jaws. Do not bite too hard or else you will end up damaging your teeth or the nut will get broken.
How to make chili roasted pistachios?
Chilli roasted pistachios make for a great snacking option especially if you are always craving for spicy food. They are nutritious and full of flavor.
- 2 cups pistachios (shelled or unshelled)
- 1/2 fresh lime
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt (skip the salt if the pistachios are salted)
- Preheat your oven at 175°C or 350°F for 15-20 minutes.
- Whisk olive oil and lime juice with chilli powder and garlic powder until smooth. Then fold in the pistachios such that they are evenly coated with the seasoning.
- Spread the coated pistachios on a baking tray evenly in a single layer.
- Roast the nuts in the oven for at least 20 minutes or until the coating has dried and the you can smell a strong nutty and spicy aroma in your kitchen.
- After 20-30 minutes, remove the roasted nuts form the oven and let them cool off on a plate.
- Transfer the roasted, seasoned and crispy pistachios to an air-tight glass jar. The pistachios become crispier as they cool.
Make sure the pistachios have not gone bad.
In this article, we answered the question “How to cook pistachios?”, and how to make chili roasted pistachios?