In this brief guide, we will answer the question “How to cook on a gas stove?”, discuss answers to other related questions like for what purpose can you use a gas stove, and the safety tips about using a gas stove.
How to cook on a gas stove?
Cooking on a gas stove often seems difficult to the person who is going to use the gas stove for the first time. But if you know how to cook on a gas stove, it is not a thing to be scared of. To cook on a gas stove, all you need to know is how to work the flames and get the stove hot so that you are ready to use the gas stove.
Broadly addressing, if you want to cook something on the gas stove, first of all, you need to push in the burner knob toward the light position and then wait for ignition. Once the flame is ignited, adjust it to the heat level (low, medium-low, medium, medium-high, or high) that you prefer. Now, place the cooking pan on the stove and cook your food.
5 easy steps for cooking on a gas stove
The most definite way to cook on a gas stove is to know its proper use. To learn this, you can go through these easy steps:
- First of all, put the skillet or pan (that you are going to use for cooking) on the burner of the gas stove.
- Now, push the control knob of the burner in, and then turn it towards the light position to ignite the flame.
- Adjust the knob of the gas stove to the flame height that you desire. The visual inspection of the flame is important while adjusting the knob of the stove. (The more the flame, the higher the temperature will be, and the quicker you will have your food cooked).
- If you are using the gas stove for the first time, it is important to keep the flame height and the temperature intensity low. Also, try to add splashes of oil or some butter to the pan or skillet to prevent the food from burning. (Cooking on a gas stove is relatively a faster process, and it is easy to have food get burned until you are adjusted to how the burners work).
- Once the cooking process is finished, turn the flame off as soon as possible. For this, rotate the knob of the gas stove towards the left completely. Don’t forget to turn the knob as far as possible to the left to assure that there will be no leakage of gas.
For what purpose can you use a gas stove?
While using a gas stove, the mattering thing that you need to know is that the gas stoves heat rapidly and provide consistent heat. So, it is important to maintain good ventilation with a fan or window. In such a maintained condition, the gas stoves can be used for several purposes including cooking, baking, and broiling.
For cooking food on the gas stove, place the skillet on the burner. Ignite and adjust the flame, and let the food cook. When cooking liquid-based food, the heat is distributed evenly, and the food is cooked in a better way. On the other hand, cooking solid-based food is a relatively difficult task because dry heat causes spots on the pan to cook hotter than the others.
Before baking, especially sensitive baked goods like bread and cookies, allow the gas oven to preheat for 5-10 minutes. As baking relies on the bottom heating element of the oven, avoid crowding the lower rack when you have food cooking on the higher rack. If your food burns on the bottom, try to spread heavy-duty aluminum foil on the bottom rack to reduce burning.
Broiling helps you cook food quickly at a high temperature by directly exposing the food to heat from the gas-powered flame. For a tender cut of meat, like steak or chops, broiling serves the best option. Less tender cuts, like top round steak, should be marinated for 6-24 hours before broiling to have the best results.
Safety tips about using the gas stove
While using a gas stove, maintain the flame by turning the knob. The flame should not reach out from under the cookware, as that may expose your fingers to direct heat. Also, try to choose the utensil of the appropriate size. The material of the cookware should be anti-corrosive and non-flammable.
Before installing a gas stove in your kitchen, try to install a carbon monoxide detector at first. Carbon monoxide poses adverse effects like dizziness, headache, nausea, and vomiting. And it can not be detected without the detector as it is colorless and odorless.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “How to cook on a gas stove?”, discussed answers to other related questions like for what purpose can you use a gas stove, and the safety tips about using a gas stove.