In this article, we will answer the question “How to cook frozen hash browns on the stove?”, and how to make crispy hash browns?
How to cook frozen hash browns on the stove?
Follow the steps below to cook frozen hash browns.
- Grease a cast-iron skillet with 3-6 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Evenly coat the skillet.
- Place the skillet on the stovetop. Adjust the heat to medium-high and let the skillet preheat to about 375℉.
- Place the hash browns on the heated oil and cover it with a lid.
- Let the hash browns cook for about 5 minutes. Then flip them over using a spatula.
- The other side should also be cooked for 5 minutes. Keep checking for doneness in between the five minutes to make sure they do not burn.
- When the hash browns are nicely golden and crispy from both sides, remove them from the stove. Sprinkle some salt and pepper as per taste and enjoy.
How to bake hash browns?
Unlike whole potatoes, which take more than 30 minutes to bake, shredded potatoes in hash browns will be ready in under 30 minutes. Baking hash browns makes them healthy due to lesser oil used during the cooking process.
The conventional way to cook hash browns is in the bacon fat or butter in the skillet but this makes hash browns very greasy. If you do not like greasy or want to cut down the calories in your hash browns, baking is the way to go.
Follow the steps below to bake hash browns in the oven.
Things you’ll need
- Fresh or frozen hash browns
- Butter flavored non-stick cooking spray
- Cookie sheet
- Aluminum foil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: onions
- Preheat the oven at 400℉ for 15-20 minutes. While the oven is preheating, line a baking tray with an aluminum foil such that its shiny side is facing upwards.
- For greasing, spray the foil with butter-flavored cooking oil.
- Spread the hash browns evenly on the greased foil. Place only a half cup of hash browns at once.
- Spray some cooking oil on the top of the hash brown layer.
- You need to bake the hash browns for a total of 30 minutes. Flip them over after the first 15 minutes and spray the top of the hash browns with a cooking spray again. When golden and crispy from both sides, remove the hash browns from the oven and sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
How to make crispy hash browns?
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup frozen shredded potatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the griddle on medium-high heat and add the butter.
- When the butter melts, add the shredded potatoes to the heated oil and pack them into the shape of a hash brown.
- Cover the patty and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
- With the help of a spatula, press the hash brown slightly and flip it over. Before flipping, you can add salt and pepper.
- Let the other side of the hash brown cook uncovered for another 5 or 3 minutes until they are golden and crispy from both sides.
- When done, remove them and sprinkle some salt and pepper before serving.
The nutritional profile of hash browns
A 100 grams serving of hash browns contains 265 calories. It provides potassium and magnesium in decent amounts.
They are particularly high in saturated fats and carbohydrates. Therefore, If you are looking out for weight gain, you must be cautious with the serving size.
Moreover, for a more nutritionally fulfilling breakfast or dinner, pair hash browns with eggs, bacon, turkey burger, or salad. You can also try them with a 2 egg omelet stuffed with spinach and mushrooms.
Hashbrowns are often eaten as breakfast. However, a healthy breakfast should ideally be high in protein and should only fulfill 15% of your daily caloric needs.
You can make hashbrowns a part of your breakfast or dinner now and then. But eating them on regular basis might not be a good option for your weight and health.
How to store shredded potatoes for hash browns?
If you do not store the shredded potatoes in saltwater, they will start to oxidize and turn brown. Do not store the shredded potatoes for more than 12 hours or overnight. Rinse them thoroughly in water until the water is clear.
Then squeeze all the water out of them. Pat dry with a paper towel and keep in an air-tight container in the fridge.
In this article, we answered the question “How to cook frozen hash browns on the stove?”, and how to make crispy hash browns?