In this article, we will answer the question “How to cook Christmas pudding in a slow cooker?”, and how to cook the pudding in an oven and a steamer?
How to cook Christmas pudding in a slow cooker?
To make Christmas pudding in a slow cooker, you will need the following ingredients.
- 100g sultanas
- 100g raisins
- 100g currants
- 30g mixed candied peel, chopped
- 1 small cooking apple, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 2 oranges, zested and 1 juiced
- 2 lemons, zested
- 75ml brandy, whiskey, or rum
- 100ml stout
- 2 eggs
- 100g shredded suet
- 50g self-raising flour
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 200g dark brown soft sugar
- 50g blanched almonds, chopped
- butter, for the basin
- triple sec, for lighting the pudding
- brandy butter or custard, to serve
You’ll also need
- large slow cooker
- 1-liter pudding basin
- In a large bowl, add sultanas, raisins, currants, and candied peels. Then stir in apple, citrus zest, orange juice, brandy, and stout. Wrap the bowl with a clean tea towel and leave overnight to soak.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to another bowl and stir in ½ tsp salt. Stir everything to combine and make a wish to complete the tradition. Set the slow cooker to low.
- Butter the pudding basin and line it’s bottom with a piece of baking paper. Fill the pudding basin with the pudding mixture. Level the surface using a spatula or the back of a spoon. Then dig a well in the center of the pudding mixture using the back of a spoon. Line the surface of the pudding mixture with a piece of baking paper.
- Then cover the pudding basin with a pleated sheet of baking paper and then with a pleated sheet of foil. Secure the sheets in place using a kitchen string. Then use another string to add a loop, thus constructing a makeshift handle.
- Lower the pudding basin into the slow cooker. Fill the cooker with water so that it comes halfway up the sides of the pudding basin. Cook the pudding for about 10 hours. Top up more water as necessary during the cooking process.
- When the time is up, lift the pudding basin out of the slow cooker and set it aside to cool completely. Then store the pudding somewhere cool, dark, and dry for up to 6 months.
- Before serving, cook the pudding in the slow cooker using the same method but for only 4 hours. Then pour warm alcohol on top of the pudding. Lit the alcohol and serve the pudding with brandy butter or custard.
How to make pudding in an oven?
Preheat the oven
Preheat your oven to 350 °F (177 °C). This should take about 10-15 minutes.
Place the covered mold in a deep roasting pan
Whatever pan you choose, it should have sides that are 5 inches (13 cm) tall. Lower your mold into the roasting pan. Line the roasting pan with a kitchen towel if you fear the mold might slip during steaming.
Pour water in the roasting pan
Fill the roasting pan with 2 in (5.1 cm) of water, so that it is reaching halfway up the sides of the mold.
Bake the pudding
Bake the pudding in the preheated oven for about 2 hours. Check for doneness by inserting a skewer in the center of the pudding. If it comes out wet, bake the pudding for an additional 10-15 minutes.
How to cook the pudding in a steamer?
Pour water into the pot
Fill a pot with about 2 in (5.1 cm) of water. The pot should be larger than the steamer basket. The top surface of the water in the pot should not touch the bottom of the mold. This will ensure that the pudding is steamed and not boiled.
Place the pot on the stove
Lower the steamer basket into the pot and heat the pot so that the water is simmering.
Cook the pudding
Lower your pudding into the pot such that the bottom of the pudding dish is not in direct contact with the simmering water. Cover the pot with a lid and cook your pudding for the time suggested in the recipe.
Add more water to the pot if needed
To keep the pudding from scorching, check the water level of your pot after every 20 minutes. Top up more water if needed.
Other FAQs about Pudding that you may be interested in.
In this article, we answered the question “How to cook Christmas pudding in a slow cooker?”, and how to cook the pudding in an oven and a steamer?