In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “How to cook rice in a rice cooker?”. Discuss answers to other related questions like what else can you cook in a rice cooker and how can you use black rice.
How to cook black rice in a rice cooker?
Black rice is medium-grain rice that contains a higher anthocyanin content than other types of rice. Black rice is also a good source of lysine, vitamin B, iron, zinc, and other essential nutrients.
When you cook black rice, it changes its color to purple and gives a nutty flavor and soft texture. They also impart beautiful flavor to your dish. But it is not a good idea to cook black rice in a rice cooker.
Still, if you want to cook black rice in the rice cooker, you need to follow the essential and easy steps given below that may help you cook them well. Also, you can get some tips on what to do with cooked black rice.
6 easy steps to cook black rice in a rice cooker
- First of all, wash the black rice thoroughly. For this, you can add the rice to a large metallic bowl and add warm water enough to cover the rice. While adding water, use your hands to mix around and generally agitate the rice.
- Now, strain the water out of the bowl. For this, you can use a mesh sieve because it can help you not letting kernels getting wasted. Add water again, 3 to 4 more times, and strain it. This will help you remove the extra starch from the black rice so that it cooks properly in the rice cooker.
- When you have washed the rice thoroughly, drain it and add it to the rice cooker.
- Now, add water or stock at a ratio of 1 and ¾ cups per cup of black rice.
- Start the rice cooker to cook black rice. If your rice cooker has brown rice mode, start it simply. Otherwise, you will have to set the time for 25 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, remove the lid to let the extra steam go out. Black rice is cooked and ready to be served or accompanied by some other dish. You can also keep the cooked black rice for about 5-7 days in the refrigerator.
Other FAQs about Rice which you may be interested in.
What else can you cook in your rice cooker?
If you want to use your barely used rice cooker for regular cooking, don’t worry, several other things can be cooked in the rice cooker. The best thing about the rice cooker is the fact that you don’t need to pay more attention to cooking. Just add all the ingredients to the rice cooker and wait for the cooking cycle to be completed. Here are some other things that you can cook in your rice cooker:
You can cook oatmeal or other hot cereals in the rice cooker. Just try to add a little more water or liquid than you would for stovetop cooking.
To keep the meal from getting cold or gooey, you can give the command of “keep warm”, so it will keep your food warm until you want to have the food.
If your rice cooker has a steamer rack, you can use it to cook vegetables, tofu, or even shrimps, fish fillet, or chicken breast.
Just steam the vegetables, chicken breast, or tofu, and serve as a one-pot meal.
Make risotto without stirring
If your rice cooker has a command of the “slow” or “porridge” cycle, it will help you make risotto. Just saute onion in butter/oil in the open rice cooker and add 1 part of Arborio rice and 4 parts of liquid, and cook for atleast 25 minutes. When cooked, mix in grated cheese and herbs.
Slow cook soups, beans, or stews
If you want to cook slow-cook soups, beans, stews, or long-simmered dishes without scorching or boiling over, your rice cooker will serve you as the best option.
You can also use your rice cooker to make a healthy dessert of fruits simmered in juice, wine, or maple syrup. Rice cookers can also be used to make applesauce and other fruit sauces.
How can you use black rice?
You can eat or serve the black rice with your favorite dishes such as meat, poultry, or fish. To eat or serve black rice as a side dish, you can also add some herbs and spices for exciting flavors.
You can also use black rice as a substitute for noodles and white rice. Black rice can also be used to stuff turkey or chicken. And you can also make black rice for dessert.
To read more about how you can use black rice, click here.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “How to cook black rice in a rice cooker?”. Discussed answers to other related questions like what else can you cook in a rice cooker and how can you use black rice.