How to cook a juicy well-done steak?
In this brief guide, we will answer ‘how to cook a juicy well-done steak?’ Also, we will look into a few tips and tricks to get maximum flavor and juicier end product.
How to cook a juicy well-done steak?
To cook a juicy well-done steak, cook for 2-4 minutes on each side, then turn the heat down and cook for another 4-6 minutes with a few tablespoons of compound butter. This will add flavor, deep richness and a juicy steak.
To test for doneness, use the tip of your clean index finger (or tongs) to gently prod the steak. If the steak is soft and squishy, it’s rare. If it’s soft but a bit springy, that’s medium-rare.
Why does an order of well-done steak seem like a crime?
If you order a well-done steak people look at you like you’re an alien or committing the worst possible crime. Such people need to chill as everyone has their own preference.
Some say that well-done steaks are tough, dry and flavorless. This is due to the well-done steaks having an overall uniform gray interior. But if properly cooked even a well-done steak can be a lot more flavourful, juicy and rich than a rare or medium-rare steak.
How to get a tender well-done steak?
To get a tender well-done steak it is suggested to sear the steak on both sides with a very high heat first to seal juices in and to give the steak some color on both sides for a few mins.
You can also use a tenderizing hammer. Simply before seasoning pound your steak with the tenderizing hammer and then season your steak and sear. This gives a more tender and juicy steak as the pounding breaks the connective tissues which make it easier to cook and give a juicier steak.
Best cut option for a juicy steak
Good quality steak cuts with a good fat to meat ratio works best to make the juiciest steak at home. For this boneless Ribeye, New York Strip and Eye filet are the best choices, followed by Sirloin or filet from the rump.
Which oil is best to cook your steak?
Any oil that is able to stand high cooking temperatures without burning and is generally flavorless is ideal for cooking steaks. Such oil can be any neutral vegetable oil canola oil.
How to cook a juicy steak filet in the pan?
- Start with close to room temperature steaks and pat the steak dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat your pan until smoking. Cast iron skillet is preferable or a heavy-duty, thick-based frying pan.
- Drizzle oil into your pan.
- Season steaks with salt and pepper just before they go into your pan.
- Sear both sides for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add butter near the end of cook time to prevent the butter from burning. Slightly browned butter is perfect, adding richness and a nutty sauce to serve with your steak.
- Fry garlic cloves and herbs in the butter for a minute or just enough time to release flavors.
- Baste your steaks with a large spoon
- Using tongs, rub steaks with the garlic for added flavor.
- Enjoy your juicy filet.
How do you know when steak is cooked?
- Rare steaks – soft textured steaks that maintain an indent when pressed
- Medium-rare steaks – steaks with a soft and springy feel
- Medium steaks – steaks with a slightly tighter springy feel and bouncy feel
- Medium well – slightly firm
- Well done steaks – firm or hard
You can also use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature:
- 120-125°F (50°C) internal temperature for rare
- 130-135°F (55°C) internal temperature for medium-rare
- 140-145°F (60°C) internal temperature for medium
- 150-155°F (65°C) internal temperature for medium-well
- 160°F and above (70°C+) internal temperature for well done
Which is better: well done or rare steak?
When it comes to nutrients – protein, iron, zinc etc. – there is no significant difference between a steak that is cooked medium rare or well done.
The main concern is that meat that is cooked until it’s well done contains more potential carcinogens called heterocyclic amines (HCAs) than meat cooked for a shorter time.
If you want to learn about meat grades issued by USDA, please refer here.
Other FAQs about Steak that you may be interested in.
Can you eat medium steak when pregnant?
In this brief guide, we answered ‘how to cook a juicy well-done steak?’ Also, we will look into a few tips and tricks to get maximum flavor and juicier end product.
Hopefully, you found this helpful and informative. If you have any other queries or comments, please do let us know.