In this article, we will answer the question “How to cook a frozen pizza without an oven?”, and how to make your own frozen pizza at home?
How to cook a frozen pizza without an oven?
In the toaster oven
Frozen or fresh pizza can be easily baked in a toaster oven which is also known as the countertop electric oven. They do not take up much space and are quite affordable. Other than baking, a toaster oven can be used for broiling and toasting. Toast your frozen pizza in the toaster oven until the cheese has melted and the crust is crispy and develops a golden-brown hue.
Check out the best temperature to keep pizza warm in an oven.
On the stove
You do not need any fancy equipment to bake your pizza on the stovetop. Just grab a 12-inch non-stick pan. You can also use any other pan after greasing it with some olive oil so that the crust comes out brown and crispy. A well greased cast-iron skillet also works great, it distributes the heat evenly and the crust turns out to be crispy.
Regardless of the type of pizza dough used, follow the instructions below to make the perfect pizza on the stovetop.
- Keep the flame low to medium and place a non-stick or a well-greased pan on top of it.
- Place the frozen or the homemade fresh dough on the stovetop. Cover it with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the dough bubbles up and a slight golden color appears on the bottom. Do not overcook at this point or else you will end up with the too crispy dough.
- Now turn the dough over and cover the other side for another 2-3 minutes. Cover with a lid.
- When it looks golden-brown, take it out of the pan, spread some pizza sauce, and top with cooked meat, cheese, vegetables. Add all your favorite toppings at this point.
- Put the pizza back in the heated pan. Cover the lid and cook for about 2 minutes on medium-low heat.
- After 2 minutes, turn off the heat but do not uncover the pan. Let the cheese melt in the residual heat for another 3 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
On the grill
- Heat the gas grill to 600℉, or use a fully lit charcoal grill that is evenly burning.
- Place your frozen or fresh homemade dough (grease on both sides) on the grill (ideally on a pan) and grill for about 3 minutes. Do not cover and watch out for burning or charring.
- Turn the dough over. Garnish with your favorite toppings.
- Cover the grill, and cook for three minutes or until the cheese melts and the dough is brown and crispy.
In the microwave
- Place a microwave crisper pan between the pizza and the microwave plate. Alternatively, you should buy a frozen pizza that comes with a disc-like this.
- If you do not have a crisper pan, place your pizza on the stove pan to make it crispy from the bottom and melt the cheese in the microwave.
Other FAQs about Pizza which you may be interested in.
How to make your own frozen pizza at home?
- Choose your favorite toppings and the crust.
- You can either use store-bought pizza crust or make your own if you have the time.
- Now comes the most important step i.e parboiling your pizza. You can either par-bake only the crust and add the toppings later or you can parboil the crust with the toppings.
- For parbaking, preheat your oven at 232°C and par-bake your crust for 3-5 minutes. The crust will rise a little and appear puffier. It should have a pale color and a dry top.
- Let the crust come to room temperature. Add your toppings, cheese, and pizza sauce. This step is optional. You can do it later as well.
- Now pre-freeze your pizza on a baking tray for about 3 hours without covering it.
- Wrap the pizza using a thick plastic sheet. Wrap again using a thick aluminum foil. Put the wrapped pizza in the freezer.
Is frozen pizza healthy?
Considering the nutritional profile, eating a frozen pizza once in a while won’t do you any harm. A medium-sized frozen pizza cooked in the microwave contains the following in approximate amounts.
- Calories: 380
- Fat: 18g
- Carbs: 38g
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 810 mg — 34 percent of the RDI value
The healthful aspect of the frozen pizzas depends on how you make them. Adding a lot of cheese to the toppings will make it an unhealthy choice. Similarly, eating frozen pizzas every other day will not be a good option. The key is a balanced diet.
In this article, we answered the question “How to cook a frozen pizza without an oven?”, and how to make your own frozen pizza at home?