How to convert tomato paste into tomato sauce

In this article we will find out how to convert tomato paste into tomato sauce. We will also discuss other substitutes of a tomato paste and find out some health benefits of eating tomatoes. 

How to convert tomato paste into tomato sauce 

To convert tomato paste into tomato sauce all you need to do is mix tomato paste and water. Mix 1 part tomato paste and 1 part water and blend it well. Now that the sauce is ready you can season it with garlic, onion, herbs based on your taste.

There must have been times when you are out of tomato sauce and cannot go to a grocery store to buy it. But if you have tomato paste available at home you have nothing to worry about. 

 Steps to convert tomato paste into tomato sauce. 

  1. Take tomato paste and mix one part of it with one part water
  2. Blend it really well
  3. Add herbs, garlic, onion to get the taste of a sauce.
  4. For a better tomato sauce, take some oil in a pan and heat it
  5. Now add onions and cook them until they are translucent and soft
  6. Add garlic to this and let them cook for a while
  7. Now add one part tomato paste and one part water and mix it thoroughly 
  8. This make take a little more time but it greatly enhances the taste of the sauce 

Some tomato sauce substitutes

Canned tomatoes 

Whether the canned tomatoes be whole, stewed, diced, or crushed.

  • The can will have some liquid in it so first drain off the liquid in the can
  • Then quickly blend your tomatoes in your blender and give it a whirl
  • If the resulting purée seems to have a thinner consistency and seems to be liquidy than a typical tomato sauce,  drain off some of the excess liquid.
  • If that doesn’t help cook the mixture down until you reach the desired consistency. Because when you cook it the liquid will evaporate and the consistency of the sauce will get thicker.
  • The next step to making a sauce is adding seasoning and incase of canned tomatoes some of the products have seasoning already added to them while the others don’t. 
  • So taste your sauce and see if you need to tweak the flavours by adding salt,garlic, basil, etc
  • The last step is to cook your sauce just enough to warm it for a fresh tomato sauce.
  • You can also cook it until it develops a dark color and thick texture.


If you need just a touch of tomato sauce and are not making a pasta dish which highly relies on how good the sauce is, then you can use ketchup as a substitute for tomato sauce .

  • Instead of a tomato sauce use 1 cup of ketchup and now all you need to do is add spices to tweak the flavor as needed. For example adding oregano, basil, etc.

Other FAQs about Tomato Paste which you may be interested in.

Can you use canned tomato paste after the expiration date?

Can I use tomato paste instead of tomato puree?

How do you store unused tomato paste?

How to make tomato sauce

Tomato sauce is frequently used in the kitchen so why not just make tomato sauce beforehand and freeze it so you can use it conveniently the next time you need to make a dish with tomato sauce.

This recipe does not require peeling, seeding, etc and it tastes better than any tomato sauce you buy at the store. 

All you need to do is just add all the ingredients into the crockpot, and forget it. 

You can use your sauce immediately or refrigerate, freeze it. 

You can also store it in cans if you wish. 

Steps to make tomato sauce 

  • Add all the ingredients, tomatoes, garlic, onion, oregano, basil, sugar, salt and pepper into the crockpot
  • You need not chop or peel the tomatoes, they can go in whole.
  • Cover and cook on low flame for several hours, stirring occasionally.
  • After a while when the tomatoes have broken down, remove the lid and continue cooking until it reaches a desired consistency
  • The cook time will depend on how much water is in the tomatoes.
  • Paste tomatoes usually cook down the fastest because they have less water content.
  • If you want a chunky tomato sauce, remove the tomato skins out of the sauce as it cooks.
  • If you want a smooth tomato sauce blend the tomato sauce in a blender
  • The last step is to pour your finished tomato sauce into jars, taking care not to fill past the headspace line or it will leak and sometimes it might get contaminated by microorganisms too.

Nutrition facts

Tomatoes are mostly made up of water as their water content is around 95% and the other 5% consists mainly of carbohydrates and fiber.

Here are the nutrients in a small (100-gram) raw tomato 

Calories: 18

Water: 95%

Protein: 0.9 grams

Carbs: 3.9 grams

Sugar: 2.6 grams

Fiber: 1.2 grams

Fat: 0.2 grams


In this article we discussed how to convert tomato paste into tomato sauce. We also discussed other substitutes of tomato sauce like canned tomatoes and ketchup.