In this article, we will answer the question “How to clean the Bonavita coffee maker?”, and how often should I descale my Bonavita coffee maker?
How to clean the Bonavita coffee maker?
The following method to clean the Bonavita coffee maker is particularly used to remove the calcium buildup or descaling.
It is not recommended to use vinegar for cleaning or descaling Bonavita coffee maker. If, however, you are using vinegar, then, mix water and vinegar in equal proportions for the following method.
Some manufacturers do not recommend using vinegar for descaling because the parts are made of metal. Instead of vinegar, baking soda and denture tablets can also be used.
What you’ll need?
- Hot soapy water (made with hot water and dish detergent)
- Baking soda
- Soft cloth
- As mentioned above, remove all the coffee parts like a carafe, brew basket, and filter paper(If permanent). Toss them in hot soapy water and wash them clean using the brushing action of a sponge.
- In a container, mix two cups warm water with ½ cup baking soda.
- Place a paper filter in the brew basket If you use any. And slowly pour the water and baking soda solution into the water reservoir of your coffee machine.
- Run your coffee maker through a drip cycle. Stop it midway through the cycle and let the water sit for about 30 minutes to 1 hour to allow the solution to sit in the reservoir and the carafe.
- After 20-60 minutes, resume the drip cycle and let it finish. After that, remove the water and baking soda solution from the carafe and replace the filter paper If you are using it.
- Fill the water reservoir with plain water and run a full brew cycle. Discard the water, replace the filter paper If needed and run another brew cycle.
- Using hot soapy water, thoroughly clean the removable filter basket, permanent filter, and carafe. Changing the water filter is also a good hygienic practice. Finally, wipe clean the outer side of the coffee maker with a dampened soft cloth.
How often should I descale my Bonavita brewer?
Ideally, the Bonavita coffee maker should be descaled after every 100 uses. Descale often If you use hard water to brew coffee.
Use a high-quality biodegradable and phosphate-free coffee machine descaler. Note that the descaler is not the same as a cleaner. Descaler removes the mineral buildup and ensures the smooth functioning of the coffee maker.
For best results, follow the instructions of the manufacturer of the descale before using it to descale your Bonavita coffee maker.
It is not recommended to use vinegar to clean or descale your Bonavita coffee maker. Vinegar does not do an effective job. Plus It leaves a vinegary smell that interferes with the taste of your coffee.
Other FAQs about Coffee Maker which you may be interested in.
|Brewer stops halfway through the cycle||Descale your brewer|
|Brewer takes longer than usual||Descale your brewer|
|Grounds in coffee||Use a taller filter to keep the grounds in the filter basket|
|Water leaking from the bottom of the brewer|
File a warranty claim
|Water is not flowing into the filter or carafe||File a warranty claim|
|Thermal carafe leaks||The vacuum seal is likely damaged (File a warranty claim)|
|Water trapped in walls of the thermal carafe||The vacuum seal is likely damaged (File a warranty claim)|
How to keep your coffee maker cleaner for longer?
- Prefer using demineralized water when making coffee to avoid scaling. Hard water contains a large amount of calcium and magnesium minerals that build up in the coffee maker causing scaling.
- When using a carafe to fill the water reservoir, make sure you are cleaning it afterward with hot soapy water every time.
- If you leave the wet or moist coffee grounds in the coffee maker after brewing your coffee, you are actually favoring mold, yeasts, or bacteria to grow. Avoid leaving the ground in the coffee maker for any length of time.
- K-cup brewers require deep cleaning using impact needles. It is recommended to read the manufacturer’s instructions in this case.
- Do not make speculations as to whether your coffee maker is dishwasher-safe or not. Refer to the user’s manual instead. It is recommended to wash and clean your coffee maker with hands to ensure longevity.
In this article, we answered the question “How to clean the Bonavita coffee maker?”, and how often should I descale my Bonavita coffee maker?