In this brief guide. We will answer the question “how to check if a hard-boiled egg is done?”, discuss the health benefits of a hard-boiled egg, and how to make the hard-boiled egg.
How to check if hard-boiled egg is done?
There are 6 ways to check if a hard-boiled egg is done:
- Spin the egg
Spinning the egg is an easy and quick way to check if it is done boiling. Put the egg on its side on a flat surface and spin. The boiled egg will easily and quickly move around, but the uncooked egg will wobble at first and then slowly spins. This is because the remaining liquid inside the uncooked egg prevents it from spinning the right way.
- Shake the egg
Shaking an egg is a very simple and fast method to check if the egg is hard-boiled or not. Hold the egg with your finger-tips and shake it gently, like you are shaking a maraca. If the egg feels very solid, then it is hard-boiled. But if you feel there is still some swooshing inside, it is not yet done up to the mark. In this case, toss the egg back to the pan to complete the cooking process.
- Hold the egg up to the light
When the egg is raw, its shell is thin and lets some light pass through it. When the light is passed through such an egg, the yolk will still be visible and uncooked. A boiled egg has solidified all its content, so it should be fully opaque and will not allow the light to pass through it.
- Use a thermometer
The thermometer can also help you to check if the hard-boiled egg is done or not. Remove the egg from the boiling pan and put the sharp end of the thermometer on the shell and into the center of the egg. Let it stay there for a bit until it gives a reading. The egg is done boiling if the reading is 158-170 Fahrenheit (70-77℃).
- Drop the egg in warm water and check for bubbles
The next method to check if a hard-boiled egg is done or not is the bubble method. The uncooked egg will release tiny bubbles of air if you drop it in the warm water. Because when it submerges, the tiny pockets of air will escape from the eggshell. But in the case of a completely hard-boiled egg, there will be no air pockets in the shell because the cooking process removed them. So it will not release small streams of bubbles.
- Crack the shell
Cracking an egg to test it should be the last resort to tell if it is done. This method is helpful when you are dealing with a batch of eggs. You will simply take out one egg from the pan, crack it, and check if it is done or not. If it is done, remove the other eggs from the heat. But if it is not done, give some more time to the other eggs.
What is the nutritional value of hard-boiled eggs?
Hard-boiled eggs are loaded with nutrients, proteins, and healthy fats. One large hard-boiled egg (50 gram) provides 77 calories and:
|Vitamin A||6% of the RDA|
|Vitamin B-2||15% of the RDA|
|Vitamin B-5||7% of the RDA|
|Vitamin B-12||9% of the RDA|
|Phosphorus||9% of the RDA|
|Selenium||22% of the RDA|
*RDA= Recommended Daily Allowance
What are the health benefits of hard-boiled eggs?
Being rich in nutrients, hard-boiled eggs offer several health benefits. Some of the important benefits are as follows:
- Hard-boiled eggs are an excellent source of lean protein, which is helpful if you want to lose weight.
- The protein in hard-boiled eggs also works alongside vitamin D to promote prenatal development.
- Boiled egg whites are a good option to enjoy low cholesterol snack.
- Hard-boiled eggs are the top source of choline, which is important for your cellular growth and maintenance.
- The combination of protein and choline in hard-boiled eggs helps to get your brain going, especially after breakfast.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin, which are present in boiled eggs, have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, that help maintain your eye health.
How to make hard-boiled eggs?
Following are some simple and easy steps to prepare hard-boiled eggs:
- Put the eggs in a saucepan with water.
- Set the stove to high heat.
- Turn off the heat after 8 minutes.
- Strain the water from the pan.
- Run cold water over the eggs and they are READY.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “how to check if a hard-boiled egg is done?”, discussed the health benefits of hard-boiled eggs, and how to make the hard-boiled egg.