In this brief guide, we will answer the question, ‘how to build a brick smoker and pizza oven?’. We will discuss the step-by-step procedures and the important measures necessary to build a Brick Smoker and Pizza Oven.
How to build a Brick Smoker and Pizza Oven?
To build step-by-step a brick smoker and pizza oven, you need to design the oven. To help you, use a software such as a Sketchup. The foundation is the first thing which needs to be created, then dry stack the concrete blocks and fill in with concrete. Use reinforced concrete to build the structural hearth and perlite concrete for insulation beneath the oven. Use fire bricks to construct the fire dome. Insulate the entire surface of the oven and set up the outer dome.
Then build the flue and chimney, finalize the oven facade brick and build the offset firebox. Finish the top and bottom construction off, by covering the structure with decorative concrete.
A good outdoor activity is to build a brick smoker and pizza oven, which will give you the upper hand to have outdoor cooking with your friends and family. The brick smoker and pizza oven combine the smokehouse, grill, and a pizza oven to make fresh pizza, smoked or grilled fish, and meat.
Some Tips to help you
Science and calculations have a great role to play in making a brick smoker and pizza oven. You must take into account; the oven depth, height, width and chimney placement for a proper air-flow.
To build a brick smoker and pizza oven, do thorough research and ask for help where necessary. You need to contemplate and study before you start because it is a demanding and complicated task.
Check the availability and durability of all the materials. The materials you use should be oven-safe and resist high temperatures. High-temperature refractory materials must be used which can withstand greater than 1,200 degrees.
Cure the oven before you start cooking. When you light up the brick smoker and pizza oven, it strengthens the built and gets rid of the existing moisture.
To build a brick smoker and pizza oven, you need the following tools and things and then follow the instructions below:
- 10-12mm diameter Steel
- Water-Resistant Insulation
- Clay/Special Fireclay Brick
- Fire Resistant Mortar
- Paper Tube (for making pizza hearth chimney)
- Plaster (sand, cement, lime)
- Wood Planks
- Measuring Tape
- Choose a spot where the breeze will blow the smoke away from your home. You also need space for drainage and fire-starting supplies.
- To build the foundation, build an 18 to 24 inches deep rubble trench and fill it with gravel, or gravel, and stone. Fill the gaps with gravel and a concrete pad.
- Build a concrete-block base, two courses high reinforced with a mesh. Fill the base with gravel and sand. Use cement to create insulation.
- You are now ready to build the firebox with a firebrick. Put a thin layer of sand on top of the lightweight cement. Level the sand up. The first layer is to establish the hearth, just measure the center and place two bricks on either side. Firebricks do not have mortar added to allow them to expand and contract. The firebricks are slid down avoiding any unnecessary gap.
- Put the steel shelf in place and to make it work as a chimney.
- Place two courses of concrete blocks and use bricks to hold them in place.
- Use lightweight cement to fill all the areas.
- Build the oven chimney, and set up the tile for finishing.
- Place the grill grate and the griddle.
- Make the oven door using steel filled with perlite.
Other FAQs about Ovens which you may be interested in.
Is there a kit to help you create a brick smoker and pizza oven?
If constructing a brick smoker and pizza oven seems a daunting task, there are 4 different kits sold by Brickwood Ovens to make things easier.
The kit is very concise and comprehensible, with pictures and illustrations. The overly detailed installation instructions will make the process easy for anyone without a masonry experience.
Mattone Barile series are based on half-barrel and can cook vegetables, meats, and bread using clean-burning firewood. To build, you need to put the barrel-shaped foam and place firebricks on the marks.
Mattone Cupola is a dome-shaped oven where you put castable refractory into the foam mold. The BrickWood Box is the most versatile and is multifunctional as a BBQ, pig roaster, rotisserie, fryer, and bread/pizza oven. It is made with insulated bricks and blocks.
In this brief guide, we answered the question, ‘how to build a brick smoker and pizza oven?’. We discussed the step-by-step procedures and the important measures necessary to build a Brick Smoker and Pizza Oven.