In this article, we will answer the question: “How to add flavour to bland spaghetti sauce?”. Here are some tips and tricks to add more flavour to bland spaghetti along with a step-by-step guide on how to do so.
How to add flavour to bland spaghetti sauce?
Here are some of the ways in which you can add flavour to bland spaghetti sauce.
To make dull spaghetti sauce more interesting, add a little of salt, red pepper flakes or raw garlic.You may also add dried or fresh herbs like oregano, basil, thyme, tarragon and parsley to this recipe to make it more flavourful.
While the spaghetti sauce is heating up, add a splash of red wine vinegar, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar or some chopped olives or capers. A little acidic flavour can take it to the next level.
Your spaghetti sauce may be bland because the pasta was cooked in unsalted water, olive oil (or butter) was added to the pasta water, the noodles were washed after cooking or the sauce was under seasoned.
Using a little butter to cook your vegetables and a couple of teaspoons at the end will give a delicate depth of flavour to your spaghetti sauce. Cover the sauce with a lid and bring it to a boil, then turn down the heat and let it simmer.
Consider cooking it for a considerable period of time to allow it to develop a more enriching taste. To increase the flavour of your spaghetti sauce, simply boil it on the stove for a few minutes until it slightly reduces. This allows the flavours to concentrate and deepen.
What do you need to prepare a flavourful spaghetti sauce?
Here is all you need to prepare a flavourful spaghetti sauce
- 1 tbsp Olive or Avocado Oil
- 1 lb lean ground Turkey or Beef
- 28 oz canned crushed Tomatoes
- ¼ cup Water
- 3 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 ½ tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Dried Parsley
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Pepper
A step-by-step guide on how to make spaghetti sauce more flavourful
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. When the pan is on medium-high, add the ground beef. Cook, tossing periodically, until the meat is browned.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low. To the pan with the meat, add canned crushed tomatoes, water, tomato paste, garlic, oregano, basil, parsley, salt, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper.
- To blend, stir everything together. Cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until everything is cooked through and the flavours have blended.
- Serve your delectable spaghetti sauce over your preferred pasta. You may even serve it on top of roasted vegetables for a filling yet light supper.
Other FAQs about spaghetti sauce
What are the secrets to add flavour to bland spaghetti sauce?
- Make sure to use fresh veggies in your spaghetti sauce.
- Adding fresh or roasted garlic to your spaghetti sauce will make a world of a difference.
- Opt for fresh tender baby greens like kale and spinach that will wilt beautifully into the sauce for a wholesome outcome.
- Brown some meat and add it into your sauce to make the spaghetti sauce more satiating.
- If your sauce is missing that extra something, it could do with a hint of tanginess from lemon juice or balsamic vinegar.
- Sprinkle in some fragrant dried oregano or thyme along with a dash of red pepper flakes.
What mistakes should you avoid while making spaghetti sauce?
- Not roasting your tomatoes before you begin
- Trying to prepare spaghetti sauce in a hurry
- Being hesitant to explore new flavours, such as Anchovies
- Including too many additional components in a hotpotch
- Refrain from using a food processor to smooth out your sauce
- Garlic packs a lot of flavour, so don’t undercook it or overcook it
- Not seasoning at each step of the cooking process
Spaghetti sauce is an ubiquitous pantry essential that’s as flexible as the dishes that call for it, whether ladled over boiling hot pasta or spooned on fresh Italian bread.
A great spaghetti sauce should be full of fresh flavours, have a delicate sweet-salty-tart balance and complement rather than overshadow your culinary masterpiece.
In this article, we have answered the question: “How to add flavour to bland spaghetti sauce?”. Above are all the tips and tricks you need to add more flavour to bland spaghetti along with a step-by-step guide on how to do so.