In this article, we will answer the question “How much minced-garlic equals two cloves?”, and how to store garlic?
How much minced-garlic equals two cloves?
It really depends on the size of the garlic cloves. Generally, 1 small clove gives a tsp, a medium-sized clove gives a heaping tsp and a large clove gives 1 ½ tsp of minced garlic. The following comparisons are estimates.
1 clove = 1Tsp chopped garlic = 1/2 Tsp minced garlic = 1/8 Tsp garlic powder = 1/2 Tsp garlic flakes = 1/4 Tsp granulated garlic = 1/2 Tsp garlic juice
Comparison of the amounts of minced garlic and garlic powder with cloves of garlic
|Cloves of garlic||Minced garlic||Garlic powder|
|1 clove||1tsp||⅛ tsp|
|2 cloves||2tsp||¼ tsp|
|3 cloves||1tbsp||⅜ tsp|
|4 cloves||1tbsp+ ½ tsp||½ tsp|
|5 cloves||1tbsp+ 1tsp||⅝ tsp|
How to store garlic?
Buy fresh, plumpy, and undamaged garlic bulbs. Do not buy garlic with soft or mushy spots or sprouted bulbs.
- Store the bulbs in a mesh bag or basket for proper ventilation.
- Keep the garlic away from moisture and sunlight or heat.
- Once you have removed the husk of the cloves, try to use them as soon as possible. Because the husk is what keeps the garlic from losing moisture.
At room temperature
Only hole garlic should be stored at room temperature. The ideal temperature ranges between 60-65°F. The humidity level should be moderate.
In the fridge
The fridge has a humid environment that makes the whole garlic sprout and rot. Refrigerating minced garlic kept in oil or vinegar is a good choice. Processed minced/chopped garlic jars should be kept in the fridge for an extended shelf-life.
In the freezer
Freezing garlic changes the texture and flavor but it is not a bad choice if you have garlic in bulk or you do not use garlic frequently. There are two ways to freeze store garlic.
- Peel the cloves and toss them in a freezer bag. Squeeze out the air from the bag and label the bag.
- The second method is to freeze-store chopped garlic. You can keep the minced garlic or garlic paste(blended with some water) in the ice cube tray. You can either use these cubes directly or toss them in a freezer bag.
In the dehydrator
Dried garlic lasts longer than fresh garlic. Store dried garlic as is in an air-tight container or blend to make powder. You can dry the garlic cloves in two ways.
- Peel the garlic cloves. Cut the cloves into thin slices. Spread the slices evenly in a food dehydrator. Remove when the cloves are crisp.
- If you do not have a food dehydrator, dry the sliced garlic cloves in the oven maintained at a temperature of 115°F. Keep an eye on the garlic, it should not burn. Remove from the oven when crisp.
Grease a baking tray and spread the garlic cloves in the dish. Bake at 350°F for about 45 minutes. Remove the peel and store the paste in the freezer for up to a week. Roasted garlic has a mild roasted flavor and is very easy to scoop out due to the added oil.
Store the peeled garlic cloves in vinegar or wine. Herbs like red pepper flakes, oregano, rosemary, or bay leaves, and wine e.g dry red or white wine, or white or white wine vinegar can be added. Salt will add flavor and act as a preservative. Pickled garlic has a very mild flavor and it can even be added to salads.
In flavored oil
Dried garlic cloves can be preserved by immersing them in flavored oil like olive oil. Using fresh garlic clove in the oil will increase the chances of botulism.
Keep the minced/chopped garlic in oil in the fridge and consume within weeks. Throw away if mold sign or odd smell appears. Garlic paste in oil can also be frozen to reduce the risk of Botulism.
Health benefits of garlic
- Due to the presence of powerful anti-oxidants, garlic can reduce the risk of heart diseases by reducing cholesterol.
- Taking 4 cloves per day or an equivalent amount of garlic supplements has been found to reduce Hypertension.
- Garlic can be added to tea or hot baths to get rid of the symptoms of flu or the common cold. Garlic has excellent antibacterial properties.
- Taking 2-3 cloves will detoxify the blood removing all the toxins from the body.
- Garlic prevents aging, Alzheimer’s, and dementia due to its anti-oxidant proeprties.
In this article, we answered the question “How much minced-garlic equals two cloves?”, and how to store garlic?