In this article, we will answer the question “How much electricity does a slow cooker use?”, and Is a slow cooker a good investment?
How much electricity does a slow cooker use?
If the slow cooker runs for 8 hours, It will consume about 1.2-1.7kWh of electricity. Given that the average cost of electricity is $0.13/kWh, 8 hours of cooking in the slow cooker will cost you about 16-22 cents.
The rate of 150-210 Watts of the slow cooker per hour is approximately 2-3 cents. For cooking times over 8 hours, the cost will be somewhere around 12-53 cents and It will vary with the electricity requirement of your cooker and the cost of electricity. These figures make the slow cooker an energy-efficient appliance.
Is a slow cooker a good investment?
Easy to use
You can easily learn to operate a slow cooker using the manual for advanced features. Other settings are also quite easy to control including the temperature, time, and different programs.
It is convenient and time-saving
It is an excellent choice for people who are busy working. All you have to do is toss all the ingredients inside the cooker when you leave for work and come home to a delicious and warm meal ready to be devoured.
It saves money
As discussed above, the energy requirement of the slow cooker is quite low, thus, making It an energy-efficient appliance. A slow cooker is multi-purpose, therefore, you do not need to spend money on different appliances each capable of only a single task when you have a slow cooker.
They are easy to clean
The non-stick and removable inner pot of the slow cooker can easily be cleaned. You can also use disposable liners to make the cleanup easier. All you have to do is wipe the slow cooker with a dampened cloth or paper towel after each cooking.
It can cook almost everything
A slow cooker is capable of making most of the recipes. The tricky ones can also be made using a slow cooker after making certain adjustments.
It uses less oil or fat
A slow cooker operates on very low moisture. Only a thin coating of oil is added to prevent the food from sticking to the bottom. Food cooked in such reasonable levels of fat contributes to a healthier lifestyle.
A slow cooker does not let the flavorful steam escape. Instead, It cooks the food in this flavor and the end product is full of deliciousness and flavor.
Excellent food safety
Slow cooker reaches high temperatures during cooking which kill any harmful microbes in your food especially meat. The ‘Keep warm’ setting prevents the food from dropping down to temperatures favorable for microbial growth.
Besides, slow cookers are manufactured using BPA-free materials, thus, the risk for PFOA materials is eliminated and health is assured.
5 basic slow cooker tips
- Do not go overboard with the fluid or else you will end up with squishy or mushy foods. The slow cooker should not be filled more than ½ or ¾ of its capacity. These liquids also include wine or vodka other than broth and water.
- The slow cooker is not designed to cook delicate meats like fish and seafood. Use it to cook tougher and cheaper cuts of meat. As the slow cooker cooks low and slow, the muscle collagen fibers are broken down making the meat tender and juicy.
- Do not add too much fat. The excess fat or oil will not be drained easily. Therefore, cut down the fat to the exact amount you want in your finished product.
- To ensure even cooking, make sure all the ingredients are cut to almost the same size. Besides even cooking, this will ensure you get your food cooked in the set time frame.
- Do not remove the lid to check or stir the food. This will cause the steam to escape adding almost 15-20 minutes to the total cook time.
How much electricity does a microwave use?
On average, a regular-sized oven will consume roughly 215 kWh of electricity per year. Microwaves range in power from 600 to 1500 watts. If a 1200-watt microwave is used continuously for 30 minutes, It will consume about 215 kWh of energy.
In this article, we answered the question “How much electricity does a slow cooker use?”, and Is a slow cooker a good investment?