How much does one egg white weigh?

In this brief article, we will answer the question how much does one egg white weigh, its benefits and three ways to separate it

How much does one egg white weigh?

 A single egg weighs about 40 grams and of which 2/3 is the weight of egg white. So in general the egg white weight more than half of the egg’s total weight

Egg is composed of two components, egg white and yolk. Egg white is majorly made of water about 90% of it is water. The other 10% is proteins including albumins, micro-proteins and globulins. Unlike it yolk is yellow in color and high in lipids.

Why Egg White is used?

A lot of recipes require only egg whites or ask you to separate egg white and yolk to use for different purposes. Egg white is majorly made of water and proteins; egg white doesn’t have any fats or carbohydrates in it.

In baking and other recipes egg white is used as a foaming agent and provides stability to solution. Egg white has high emulsifying power and when you whisk it, it makes a foamy mixture. The creamy foam of egg white is used in many dishes and part of many recipes when making food.

Separating Egg White:

Recipes that require only egg white are a little hard to follow, as many people have a hard time separating egg white from yolk parts. But there are some easy ways to do it and those are:

With cracked Egg shells:

It is one of the quickest and easiest methods to separate egg white from egg without any difficulty. When cracking an egg, break the shell in two pieces and don’t drop the egg into the mixture. Instead hold the broken shells in your hands with a little distance in them

The next thing you have to do is pass the yolk from one shell in your hand to another shell in your other hand. Do this while maintaining the distance. In this way, the white part of egg falls in the bowl and yolk remains in the shell.

With plastic bottle:

Another way to separate egg white from its yolk is by using an empty plastic bottle. First break an egg into a clean bowl, then use a clean plastic bottle to squeeze out the yolk from it. You just need to put the mouth of the bottle on the yolk part while squeezing it.

Once you stop squeezing the bottle the air pressure will force the yolk to move upward. This upward motion of yolk will separate it from egg white and you will get egg white. This method is also quite easy but may need a little practice.

With spoons:

Some people are pro in doing this while others struggle as the yolk breaks and spreads around. To do this make sure to put the edge of the spoon at the one end of yolk. Slowly scoop the yolk out with the help of this spoon as you reach down under it.

This method is useful as it doesn’t require a trick to do it and it is easy and quick. Spoons are necessary when doing anything so it won’t be hard to find one. To prevent the breaking of yolk in the mixture bowl it is better to break the egg in a separate bowl.

Measuring Egg weight:

Eggs are written in the required amount, for instance if you need two eggs for cake the recipe will clearly say 2 eggs. But sometimes the amount of egg is specified in the weight of egg white or yolks. To overcome this difficulty, the weight of eggs is measured as follows:

Size of egg:

Eggs are available in different sizes depending on their breeds, quality and manufacturing. The most common size distribution for any food product is:

Medium sized product, large sized Product, Small sized product.

In eggs these measurements are done as the same and the egg is divided in three classes. But when doing calculations two other categories are added, which are: X-Large egg and Jumbo sized egg.

The weight for each category is:

  • A medium sized egg weighs about 157 ounces from which 0.51 ounces are of egg yolk and 1.06 ounces are of egg white
  • A large sized egg when measured for total weight is 1.73 ounces. In terms of yolk and white it is 0.54 ounces and 1.19 ounces respectively
  • The weight of an X-large egg is 1.90 ounces when measured for total egg. The yolk weighs 0.57 ounces and the egg white is equal to 1.33 ounces of its weight
  • Depending on the size the weight of jumbo egg is 2.08 ounces of which 0.63 is yolk and 1.45 is egg white

These are some basic measurements for egg, egg yolk and egg whites.

Conclusion:

In this brief article, we have answered the question how much does one egg white weigh, its benefits and three ways to separate it

References:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5652-averaging-egg-weights

Avatar

Hi, I am Charlotte, I love cooking and in my previous life, I was a chef. I bring some of my experience to the recipes on this hub and answer your food questions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *