In this brief article, we will answer the question of how much does an average potato weigh with three different ways to measure the weight.
How much does an average potato weigh?
The weight of an average (medium-sized) potato is 150grams or 2.5 ounces. The average range is between 140 – 280 grams. The weight of an average medium-sized potato varies on its quality and size variation within the same category.
Potato is a staple food in many areas and a common food worldwide. It is a necessary part of the daily diet and an essential ingredient of many dishes. It is part of countless recipes and added in specific amounts like any other ingredient. You need Potatoes according to size in recipes, but what if you don’t have a medium-sized potato then? How much of a large potato will you add?
On average, a Russet Potato weighs between 3 ounces to 10.1 ounces. It is the size of a potato in a 10-pound sack regardless of its shape. If we consider the median of this weight, we get 5.75 ounces which might be the weight of a medium potato, and for large potatoes, the size can go as much as 10 ounces.
Weight of Potato:
- According to size:
The calculation of potato-based on size is as Small, Medium, and large. The weight of each in a 10-pound sack according to sizes are:
- Large Potatoes are nearly 10 ounces in weight of 0.29 kilograms
- Medium-sized potatoes are 5.75 ounces or 0.16 kilograms
- The smallest potatoes are 3.40 ounces in weight or 0.10 kilograms
These sizes imply that a potato exists that is just the average size and not Big or small. The average of these sizes is 6.15 ounces or 0.17 kilograms.
- According to hand size:
You can recognize the potato’s size if you hold it in your hand and then estimate the weight according to the size. You can do it as:
- A large potato is nearly the size of an avocado and will fit the palm of your hands without curling your fingers around it
- A medium-size potato will fit 3/4th of your hands, and if you measure from the wrist end of palm, you will get free space near fingers
- A small potato will only fit your palm and won’t touch the fingers of your hand
- According to the Pound system:
If we calculate the size of potato in pounds in a 10-pound sack, we will get the following results:
- A large potato weighs as much as 0.63 pounds which are 285.83 in grams
- A medium-size potato that fits the palm of your hand is 0.36 in pounds and 162.73 in grams
- A small size potato weighs 0.21 pounds or 0.10 in grams, which is very light but not that light
You can easily recognize the potato’s size with the help of the mentioned method, but sometimes the recipe asks to add medium potato, but you only have two large potatoes. What you can do is estimate the weight by holding the potatoes in your hands. Then cut half or a little more than that of the potato. It will make your cooking more manageable, and many recipes use potato size as a reference so that it won’t be that much of a trouble.
What is the size of an average potato?
The size of an average potato, typically available in the market ranges from 1.5-2.25 inches in diameter. They are typically divided into 3 categories – Size A, Size B, and Size C
|Potato Category||Diameter (in inches)|
|Size B||1.5 – 2.25|
|Size C||1.5 or less|
Other FAQs about Potatoes which you may be interested in.
How much does a medium potato weigh?
Does microwaving sweet potatoes destroy nutrients?
Weight of potato in cups?
In American recipes, they write ingredients in cups, making it hard to measure the amount of ingredients you want to add. And the thing about the potato is it easily fits in the cup, so you will never understand how many potatoes are in one cup. One way to measure this is by calculating the grams in a cup. For instance:
- In one cup, there are 225 grams of a potato which is equal to 7.9 ounces. That means the potato size would be a little smaller than the large potato
- In 2 cups, the amount in grams increases to 450 grams which is roughly 15.9 ounces. That means three medium potatoes or one large and one medium potato
- With increasing cup size, the amount also increases; in 4 cups, the grams will be 900 grams and 31.7 ounces. It is equivalent to three large size potatoes.
It is easy to buy large-size potatoes as they are sold individually from the sacks. Large-size potatoes are often sold separately in different aisles, and buying them is easy instead of buying potatoes in bulk. Even though potatoes have a good shelf life, they might rot depending on moisture and air. It is better to avoid wasting food and buying the required ingredients.
Grams of Potato in one serving?
A single serving of potato means one medium-sized potato, according to USDA. Potatoes are a starch-rich diet, and when on a diet, many people avoid eating a lot of carbs. You can calculate your starch intake by calculating the serving size, and a medium potato has 15 grams of carbohydrates in it.
In this brief article, we have answered the question of how much does an average potato weigh with three different ways to measure the weight.