In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “how much does a yellow onion weigh” with an in-depth analysis of the weight of onions of different sizes. Moreover, we are going to discuss the difference between yellow and white onion, the USDA grading system for the onions, and the health benefits of the onions.
So if it has happened to you that after watching your favorite cooking show, you want to make the exact same recipe but are confused about the terms like “A pinch of salt” or “a yellow size diced onion”, then you need not worry as we are here to resolve this issue of yours and will tell you in detail that “How much does a yellow onion weigh”.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
How much does a yellow onion weigh?
The weight of the yellow onion can vary depending upon the size of the onion.
A small yellow onion weighs 5 ounces or less than that. Mostly it weighs about 4 ounces.
A medium yellow onion roughly weighs about 5 to 8 ounces. The average weight of a medium onion is somewhat 6 ounces commonly.
One large yellow onion mostly weighs about 8 to 12 ounces with 10 ounces as the average weight of one large onion.
Extra-large yellow onion as the name implies weighs the most. It weighs about 12 ounces or more.
What is the difference between yellow and white onion?
The yellow onion that is also known as Allium cepa is a type of dry onion that is characterized by strong flavor. They have a greenish-white, light yellow, or white inside. while their outer thinner layer is somewhat more yellow with a hint of brown in it.
It is higher in sulfur content than the white onion, which gives it a more grounded, stronger, and more intricate flavor.
What are the USDA standards for grading onions?
USDA has a grading system that keeps in consideration the size of the onion rather than its weight. According to USDA standards, the diameters of different kinds of onions are characterized as follows
- The onions categorized under the category of small have their diameter lying somewhere between 1 to 2.25 inches.
- The onions categorized as the repacker are the ones having their diameter lying somewhere in between 1.75 to 3 inches.
- The onions categorized as the medium are the ones having their diameter lying somewhere in between 2 to 3.25 inches.
- The onions categorized as large are the ones having their diameter as 3 inches or more.
- The onions categorized as colossal are the ones having their diameter as 3.75 inches or more.
What is the nutritional profile of yellow onion?
Onion is a low caloric food and with 100 grams of an onion having only 40 calories. When we talk about its nutritional profile, an onion has 9% carbohydrates, 1.7% dietary fiber and 89% water which means that the majority of the onion is constituted only by water and that is why it is so low in calories. Its fat content is so low that 100 grams of onions have just 0.1 grams of fat. All of these figures point out in the direction that you should make onions a part of your daily dietary regime, be it in the form of raw salad or something else, that entirely depends upon your choice.
Moreover, onion is also a good source of many vitamins and minerals including vitamin B6, Folate, Vitamin C, and potassium.
What are the health benefits of onions?
- Onions can regulate blood sugar levels therefore there has been shown the positive impact of consumption of onion on type-1 and type-2 diabetes.
- Many studies have pointed out the positive impact of onion on bone health. It has been seen that onions not only decrease the rate of bone deterioration but also helps in the formation of new bone mass.
- Osteoporosis is a serious health problem especially in post-menopausal women therefore it is recommended to eat onions to improve your bone health.
- Observational studies have shown that onion helps in lowering the risk of many types of cancer including breast, prostate, colon, and stomach cancer.
- Onion contains an important antioxidant flavonoid, Quercetin, that helps to improve heart health and keeps heart diseases at bay. Quercetin also plays a role in lowering blood pressure.
- The sulfur-containing compound, thiosulfinates not only prevents blood clotting but also inhibits the growth of microorganisms in the body.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “how much does a yellow onion weigh” with an in-depth analysis of the weight of onions of different sizes. Moreover, we discussed the difference between the yellow and white onion, the USDA grading system for the onions, and the health benefits of the onions.