How much does 1 cup of spinach weigh?
In this brief article we will answer the question how much one cup of spinach weighs and three ways to measure it
How much does 1 cup of spinach weigh?
A cup of spinach weighs 30 grams; this is according to FDA’s measurement system. The weight depends on how well the spinach is trimmed, if the spinach is chopped or cooked etcetera
Spinach is a green leafy vegetable which is eaten raw as well as cooked all around the world. It finds its application in raw, cooked, uncooked, blanched and many ways in different food recipes.
Nutritional value of Spinach:
Spinach is very rich in nutrients and part of healthy vegetables that provide energy to the body. Some of the components in 3.5 ounces or 100 grams of spinach are:
- It has about 23 calories in it
- It is 91% water, that’s why it reduces in size when heated
- It has 2.9 grams of protein in 100 grams of spinach
- Carbs mainly fructose is about 3.6 grams by weight in it
- It is a fiber rich diet and has about 2.2 grams of fiber per 100 grams of spinach
- It is low in fat and good for health if you want to lose weight. It has about 0.4 grams of fat per 100 grams, that’s why it is part of salads
Serving size of spinach:
Spinach is a delicious vegetable which is used for its health benefits. It provides Vitamins, proteins and iron to the human body when consumed. One serving size of spinach is equal to 1 cup or 30 grams of spinach.
- In one serving of spinach there are 5 Calories from 2000 daily recommended values. If you are making a side dish of spinach generally two cups of spinach are used. That means you are consuming 10 calories of daily intake from one side dish of spinach alone
- Spinach also has proteins in the amount of 0.9 grams per 1 cup of raw spinach. It is 0.9 grams from the 30 grams of spinach you consume when using 1 cup of spinach in your recipe
- In one cup of spinach there is 121% of the daily recommended value of Vitamin K in it. It shows how rich in vitamins and nutrients spinach is.
- Vitamin C in one cup of spinach is equal to 9% of its daily recommended value. It is high amount as Vitamin C is also present in many other diets, so a side dish of spinach will provide enough vitamin C to compensate
- A single serving or one cup of spinach has about 16% of daily recommended value of Vitamin A in it. Which means 30 grams of Spinach gives about 16% of the daily intake of vitamin A we need for our proper functioning of the body.
Other FAQs about Spinach which you may be interested in.
How to store spinach long-term?
How to measure Spinach:
Even though it has vast applications as a food product many people still don’t know how to measure spinach when adding it in a recipe. No matter what the measurement system for measuring spinach is the way to do it is as follows:
- Strip the stem of mature spinach and remove them from leaves
- Measure the volume of spinach by packing leaves in a measuring cap
- Some people keep the stems with leaves when measuring baby spinach and that’s okay too
Measuring bagged spinach:
Normally the weight of a whole bunch of spinach is written on the bag or packet. But you sometimes don’t need to cook the whole packet or your recipe might require less spinach. What you can do is measure spinach on a measuring scale.
A cup of spinach equals to 30 grams according to US measurement system so if the scale shows 60 grams that means you have 2 cups of spinach in your hand
Measuring thawed spinach:
Spinach is often bought in bulk and stored for a long period of time. If your recipe needs spinach and you have it stored in the freezer. First taw it by placing it in the refrigerator. Before measuring the spinach on the kitchen scale, remove all the water from it.
You can remove the water by squeezing it or blanching it out. Blanching the Spinach improves its flavor and color. Again the weight of one cup thawed spinach is equal to 30 grams
How to measure without scale:
Kitchen scale is something not present at every household especially if you usually don’t need it. If you don’t have a kitchen scale at your disposal you can use the rule of thumb to measure how much spinach you need.
In this method, estimate the value of one-pound spinach, as one pound of spinach is equal to one cup of cooked spinach you can easily measure the amount of spinach needed. Spinach loses its volume and reduces in size when cooked so always remember this before cooking and measuring spinach
In this brief article we have answered the question how much one cup of spinach weighs and three ways to measure it