In this article, we will answer the question “How much coffee for a 12 cup coffee maker?”, and how to make French Press coffee?
How much coffee for a 12 cup coffee maker?
To fill a standard 12-cup coffeemaker, 12-24 tablespoons (or between 3/4 and 1 1/2 cups) of ground coffee is needed. This will give you 12 6-ounce servings, or about 6 standard 12-ounce mugs of coffee. You will have to scale the ratio according to your pot size.
How to tell If the coffee has gone bad?
Coffee can develop mold If It has been in contact with moisture. Similarly, It can go rancid and become contaminated by bugs and rodents.
- If the coffee develops visual signs of old growth, it should be discarded immediately.
- If the coffee stops giving off its pleasant aroma and starts to smell rancid, it is because the oils responsible for aroma have started to degrade.
- Coffee oxidizes and goes rancid. The toxic compounds produced during the process might make you sick
How to store ground coffee?
- Ground coffee, due to an increased surface area, is quick to spoil if not stored properly. Ground coffee should always be stored in a dark and dry place. Use an opaque air-tight container or a vacuum-sealed package to keep the air and the moisture at bay.
- Opaque containers will reflect most of the light. It is better to use coffee vaults instead of going for regular containers. If you bought the coffee in bulk, separate some of the coffee into a separate and smaller container.
- Separate the amount that you know will be consumed in the next 2 weeks. By doing so, you are ensuring that the coffee in bulk is not exposed to air and other contaminants on daily basis.
- Freezing coffee will extend its shelf-life to years. But the flavor won’t be the same. The brew extracted from frozen coffee will lack interesting and complex flavors.
The health benefits of drinking coffee
The ultimate energy booster
Caffeine present in coffee makes you more alert, uplifts your mood by enhancing dopamine production, and helps better cognitive functions.
Coffee helps reduce weight. Studies have shown that coffee increases the metabolic rate by 3-11%.
Improves exercise performance
Coffee increases the adrenaline production that helps you focus and stay active during exercise. It also reduces post-workout muscle discomfort.
Full of vitamins and minerals
Only a cup of coffee provides 11% of RDI of Vitamin B2, 6% of the RDI of vitamin B5, and also provides a fair amount of minerals like magnesium, manganese, and potassium.
People who drink coffee are at lower risk of getting diabetes type 2, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and dementia. Coffee has been found to possess anti-cancerous properties.
The ultimate feel-good beverage
Coffee is the ultimate mood lifter. It stimulates the release of the feel-good hormone, making you feel happy and satisfied, thereby, decreasing the chances of depression.
Rich source of antioxidants
Coffee is a rich source of antioxidants. Coffee contains an average of 200-550mg of antioxidants per cup. Anti-oxidants like hydrocinnamic acid and polyphenols present in coffee are the body’s defense against oxidative stress. They promote cardiovascular health.
Other FAQs about Coffee which you may be interested in.
How to make French Press coffee?
Preheat your press
Pour some hot water into the beaker and drain it once the beaker is hot. This step keeps the coffee hot for longer.
Weigh your coffee grounds
It is recommended to weigh the coffee to get the perfect coffee to water ratio each time. A 1:10 ratio i.e use 1g of coffee for every 10g of water is ideal.
Check the temperature of the water
The recommended coffee press water temperature is 195-205 degrees F. Use a thermometer to check the temperature.
Add coffee grounds and hot water
Add the coffee grounds and hot water in the right proportion into the preheated french press. Stir with a spoon.
Put the lid on and start the timer
Cover the lid to keep the steam inside. Wait for 4-5 minutes. Press the plunger down all the way to the base of the beaker.
Serve and enjoy
Decant your coffee if you do not want bitter flavor. Serve warm and enjoy.
In this article, we answered the question “How much coffee for a 12 cup coffee maker?”, and how to make French Press coffee?