In this brief guide, we will answer the question “How many tablespoons is 50g of curry paste?”, mention how to use curry paste and how to store it. We will also mention some uses of curry paste.
How many tablespoons is 50g of curry paste?
50g of curry paste is 1 ¾ tablespoons but it depends on the density of curry paste as every curry paste differs.
How to use curry paste?
You can use Thai curry paste for a bunch of dishes. Most common dish made with Thai curry paste is of course curry, as the name suggests.
In order to use Thai curry paste, it needs to be cooked first before adding other ingredients. Curry paste is a blend of raw aromatic spices mixed together with vegetable oil. In order for them to make a flavorful curry, they need to be cooked beforehand. If you eat raw curry paste, it may taste bad.
Fry the curry paste with a dash of oil in a pan before adding meat and vegetables. Or just simmer the curry paste in water or stock for a while before adding other ingredients. This ensures that the spices burst out their flavor.
In addition, you never know where the raw spices have been while they are being processed. They might as well contain some bacterial spores which need to be killed by heating them.
Some people also suggest microwaving the curry paste as it is over rice for example. If this works for you, go ahead.
Our suggestion is to properly cook the paste before you go ahead with adding other ingredients to it for best results.
How to store curry paste?
You can store curry paste in the refrigerator once it has been opened but it will only stay fresh for up to 2 weeks. While it can last for about 2-3 months when kept in the freezer.
When the curry paste jar is unopened, you can keep it in the pantry in a cool, dark place.
For storing it in the freezer, follow the following methods.
- Take an empty ice cube tray and wash it.
- Then pat it completely dry with a paper towel.
- Next, spray the ice cube tray with cooking oil or use a brush to put oil.
- Measure out the amount of curry paste you would require to make one meal of curry.
- Pour this exact same amount in multiple cubes.
- Place the ice cube tray in the freezer and let the paste freeze for at least 2-3 hours.
- Once they have been frozen, take all the frozen curry paste cubes out of the ice cube tray.
- Place them inside a heavy duty freezer bag or an airtight container.
- Thaw them when needed and use them.
Freezing them first prevents them from sticking together and makes it easy for you to take out only the amount of curry paste needed.
- Measure out the amount needed to make curry by following your favorite recipe.
- Pull out a plastic wrap and lay it on your countertop.
- Place all the measured out curry paste servings on the plastic wrap with some distance in between them.
- Place another piece of plastic wrap on top of it and press it down in between the spaces.
- Take a pair of scissors and cut the plastic wrap from in between the spaces.
- Wrap the plastic properly around the curry paste.
- Place all of these curry paste balls and place them in the freezer as it is or inside a heavy duty freezer bag.
- Take them out individually when required.
Can I use curry paste for making something other than curry?
Yes! You would be surprised to know that curry paste can be used in other dishes as well. You can use curry paste to make soups, stews, and salad dressings. You can also use it to marinate chicken or meat before frying it or grilling it.
You can also make pastas with curry paste. Cook curry paste and add cream to it. Then pour it over any kind of pasta you prefer.
Find out more about the uses of curry paste here.
Other FAQs about Curry that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “How many tablespoons is 50g of curry paste?”, mention how to use curry paste and how to store it. We also mentioned some uses of curry paste.