In this article, we will answer the question “How many eggs do turkeys lay?”, and Why don’t more people eat turkey eggs?
How many eggs do turkeys lay?
Turkeys lay about 100 eggs per year i.e approximately 3 eggs per week. The brooding begins after the turkey hen has laid about 10 eggs. It takes about 28 days for the poult to hatch after the hen incubates the eggs with her warmth.
What do turkey eggs look like?
In comparison to smoothly oval chicken eggs, turkey eggs are pointy at one end with an off-white hue with a pattern of freckles.
The contents of a turkey and a chicken egg are hard to differentiate because of striking similarities. But the thickness of the shell says it all. The eggshell of a turkey is quite thick and hard to crack as compared to the fragile eggshell of the chicken.
Are turkey eggs safe to eat?
Tukey eggs and chicken eggs have a quite similar flavor profile. However, you will find that the turkey egg has a more creamy texture with a distinct flavor.
Some people find the flavor of the turkey egg very similar to the duck egg. Turkey eggs can be eaten daily like chicken eggs.
Why don’t more people eat turkey eggs?
Turkey meat is very common, especially on thanksgiving. It is also a widely consumed deli meat but the eggs do not attract that much audience. One might wonder why. There are a few reasons that could explain this.
Turkey eggs are unfamiliar
Turkey eggs never really made it to the food trends. So there aren’t many people who are familiar with eating turkey eggs. Mind you turkey eggs are Whydelicious and nutritious. It’s just that people are always reluctant to try new things.
Selling eggs is a waste of time
Turkey eggs have a long hatch time. So farmers are reluctant to wait that long for eggs especially when the demand is low.
Turkeys only give you 2 eggs per week as compared to chickens which lay an egg a day. The food and space requirement is not feasible for the food industry that is always searching for profit margins.
Turkeys are expensive
Turkey eggs have a high cost of production. A single turkey egg averages about 3 dollars. 3 dollars is enough to produce 2 dozen chicken eggs. Turkeys are an expensive investment. Not only money-wise but also time.
Turkeys take time to mature and lay eggs. On average, chickens will start to lay eggs after 5 months as compared to turkeys which will take about 7 months.
Other FAQs about Turkey which you may be interested in.
When do turkeys lay eggs?
Turkeys start laying eggs in the spring around April. But this isn’t always the case as sometimes turkeys start laying before the spring. Turkey hens will lay for longer if the eggs are removed from the nest each day.
How to make Southwest Turkey And Egg Breakfast Skillet?
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ cup salsa
- 6 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp milk of choice
- Hot sauce as per taste (optional)
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper as per taste
- ½ cup shredded cheese (you can use Colby jack)
- Chopped tomatoes, avocado, red onion, cilantro, and extra salsa for toppings (optional)
- Take a large skillet and coat it evenly with olive oil. Heat it on a medium flame on the stove. Add in the onion, ground turkey, and spices. Sprinkle some salt and pepper as per taste.
- Saute Turkey thoroughly while stirring constantly. Stir in the water and salsa. Empty the skillet onto a plate.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites, milk, salt, pepper, and some hot sauce in a glass bowl. Place the skillet on medium heat and grease it with some oil.
Pour the egg mixture and scramble after the egg mixture starts to set. When the eggs are about to cook, put in the prepared turkey. Stir everything thoroughly.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the turkey and close the skillet with a lid. Alternatively, cover the skillet with a piece of foil to let the cheese melt due to steam.
- Last but not the least, top off with chopped tomatoes, avocado, red onions, cilantro, and extra salsa. Alternatively, sprinkle some of your favorite dried herbs on cheese and serve.
In this article, we answered the question “How many eggs do turkeys lay?”, and Why don’t more people eat turkey eggs?