In the brief guide, we are going to answer the question ‘How to cook spinach’ with a detailed analysis of what safety measures are to keep in mind when preparing it.
How long to cook spinach?
It takes about 3-5 minutes to cook spinach but it can vary depending upon the quantity of spinach.
To cook fresh spinach in boiling water, immerse 1 pound of washed spinach in a small amount of boiling salted water, covered. If you’re wondering how long to boil spinach, the answer is just a few minutes. Start your timer when the steam begins to foam. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
What are the various methods for preparing Spanish?
Wash and dry the spinach
Fill a bowl or sink halfway with cold water and gently swish it around to dislodge any dirt. You want the dirt to sink to the bottom of the bowl, so don’t agitate it too much. Transfer the spinach to a clean, dry towel and pat dry.
Cook in a wide frying pan with high sides
When cooking spinach, a wide frying pan with high sides is best, though a wok also works well. The amount of spinach will be overwhelming at first, but the high sides will help keep things in check. A frying pan’s large surface area also allows for as much of the spinach to be exposed to heat as possible, allowing it to wilt evenly and evaporate liquid quickly.
Continue to add fresh spinach as the salted spinach cooks down
The spinach will wilt quickly and become more manageable. It’s even possible to keep adding handfuls of fresh spinach to the pan as it wilts and makes more room.
To avoid overcooking
Cook the spinach in a single layer: Once the spinach is cooked, transfer it to a plate or baking sheet and spread it out with tongs into a single layer. This step prevents overcooked spinach by slowing carryover cooking.
Squeeze out even more moisture if desired
If you’re going to use spinach in a recipe, such as a quiche or as a filling, you’ll need to squeeze out any excess water. Gather the spinach into a ball and squeeze as hard as you can once it has cooled. Make sure to do this while standing over the sink or into a bowl if you want to save the spinach juice. You may need to do this in batches, or use a potato ricer if you have one.
Is there no need for oil when cooking spinach?
A teaspoon of oil is usually required for stovetop sautéing. I never use oil to cook spinach that will be used later in a recipe, such as a quiche or spanakopita.
It’s not really necessary because spinach contains so much water that it immediately starts releasing liquid when it comes into contact with the hot pan, and I find that adding extra oil here can make the final dish oily.
The water protects it while it cooks, eliminating the need for cooking fat. If you’re making spinach as a side dish, you might want to start with onions or garlic cooked in oil or butter.
How do you cook blanched spinach?
This method is similar to wilting, except that the spinach is immersed in a pot of salted, boiling water. It will only take a few minutes for the spinach to wilt.
- Place the spinach in a pot of salted, boiling water for two minutes.
- Shake off any excess water in a colander.
- Then season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil or butter to serve as a side dish or as directed by your recipe.
How do you cook steamed spinach?
If you don’t have a lot of spinach, this is a good way to cook it. If you have a lot to do, work in batches.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, then place the steamer inside.
- Put a few handfuls of prepared spinach inside, cover with a lid, and leave for two or three minutes, or until wilted.
How do you make stir-fry spinach?
Adding spinach to your stir-fry is a quick and easy way to boost the nutritional value of your meal.
- Add the spinach leaves to the wok a few minutes before the rest of the ingredients are finished cooking and combine until piping hot and wilted.
How do you prepare roasting spinach?
If you’re making an all-in-one dinner or traybake, roasting is a great option.
- Sprinkle the spinach leaves on top of your dish about five minutes before it’s done and set aside for a couple of minutes. Within a few minutes, the leaves will begin to wilt. Then simply mix everything together and leave for another minute, or until the spinach is completely wilted.
- You can also drizzle olive oil over spinach and place it in a hot oven for a few minutes to wilt it down.
In the brief guide, we discussed answering the question ‘How to cook spinach’ with a detailed analysis of what safety measures are to be kept in mind when preparing it.