In this article, we will answer the question “How long is pineapple good for in the fridge?”, and how to safely store pineapple?
How long is pineapple good for in the fridge?
On average, cut pineapple will stay good for 3-4 days in the fridge. Whole pineapple will last a day or two more. Though the fruit is available in the unrefrigerated section of the grocery store, it mst be refrigerated to preserve its freshness.
How to store pineapples?
In the fridge
- Whole pineapple can be stored on the kitchen counter only if it to be consumed within 24 hours. If not,they should always be kept in the cripser drawer section of the fridge.
- Cut or sliced pineapples should be stored in air-tight containers or freezer bag. Squeeze out all the air from the bag before storing. When using a bag, do not stack one bag on top of the other. Because pineapple can become easily bruised.
- Unopened pineapple can can be kept in a cool, dark and dry place in the pantry or in the kitchen cabinet. Once opened, transfer them to an air-tight container and store in the fridge.
In the freezer
Cut or slice the pineapple into desired shapes and sizes. Put the pieces in the freezer for flash-freezing followed by storing them in the freezer bags or air-tight containers.
Defrosting frozen pineapple
Like other food products, pineapples can be thawed in the fridge. If you are in a haste, you can thaw pineapple in cold water or microwave. These methods are not recommended as they might damage the quality.
The shelf-life of pineapples
The following table shows the estimated shelf-life of cut and whole pineapple under different storage conditions.
|In the pantry||In the fridge|
|Whole pineapple||1-2 days||4-5 days|
|Pineapple chunks or slices||3-4 days|
|Canned pineapple||3-6 months past the Best-by date|
How to tell if the pineapples have gone bad?
When the top leaves of the pineapple look withered, they have started to spoil. Either use them now or throw them because the rotting will be quick from now on.
If the fruit has multiple mushy, soft or squishy areas, it should better be discarded. If there is only one to two bruises that are not too deep, they can be cut and the fruit can be used.
If the pineapple has been sitting for too long in a position, it is high likely to start going moldy or mushy from the bottom.
If the pineapple loses its fresh fruity aroma, it should be discarded.
Why does pineapple make my mouth hurt?
An enzyme present in fresh pineapple, known as bromelain, causes a feeling of tingling when the pineapple is chewed. It is because the enzyme is at work and is breaking down proteins in your mouth.
Once the fruit moves down to the stomach, it is taken care of by the protective lining of the stomach walls. Bromelain has been found to have anti-inflammatory effects on joints and soft tissue, sinuses, and intestines.
How to pick the perfect pineapple?
The color of the pineapple skin can be green or yellow-gold, and it varies with the variety. Unlike the other climacteric fruits including, pineapple won’t ripen after harvesting. They must be picked at the right maturity stage.
- The bottom of base of the pineapple should have a strong fruity fragrance when it is fully mature. If it gives off a fermented or no smell at all, it is overripe and underripe, respectively.
- The leaves should be fresh and green. If the leaf cmes out easily from the centre of the crown, it is fully ripe.
- After cutting, the flesh of the fruit sould be juicy and the core should be tough and fibrous. The bottom should yield a little when pressed gently.
- Pineapple should be plump, crown should be compact and it should feel heavy.
- The eyes of the pineapple should be bright, shiny, and flat instead of old and wrinkly. Flat eyes indicate sweetness while large eyes give you an estimate of you long the pineapple was ripened on the branch. The eyes should have a uniform color
The nutritional profile of a pineapple
The following nutritional information applies to 1 cup or 165g of pineapple fruit.
- Calories: 82
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g, 9% of Daily Value (DV)
- Protein: 0.9 g
- Fat: 0.2 g
- 131% DV of Vitamin C
- 10% DV of Vitamin B6
In this article, we answered the question “How long is pineapple good for in the fridge?”, and how to safely store pineapple?