In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How long is parmesan cheese good for?” as well as provide information on the shelf-life of parmesan cheese, tips to store cheese, tips to detect spoilage in cheese, and whether it can be frozen.
How long is parmesan cheese good for?
Parmesan cheese can be good for 2-4 months. This is if the cheese was left unopened. If the parmesan cheese was left open, it can last for a period of 5-6 weeks. Parmesan cheese is a hard cheese because of which it has a longer shelf-life than other softer cheeses.
It is also better to have a look at the use-by date or best-by date of the parmesan to get a better idea of the shelf-life of the product.
An important thing to remember is that if the cheese contains the use-by date, it is an indicator of the safety of the cheese and means that the cheese should not be consumed past that date.
If the cheese contains the best-by date, it is an indicator of the quality of the cheese. It means that the cheese can be consumed past the date but there might be a decline in the quality of the cheese.
Shredded parmesan cheese more particularly can have a use-by date as it spoils quickly. It can last for a week past its printed date but it is recommended to consume the shredded cheese before the date.
Grated parmesan cheese can also come in unrefrigerated canisters. This cheese can last for a year. The cheese can have a best-by date and it might even last for more than a year as it is dehydrated.
How to store parmesan cheese?
- Place parmesan cheese in the fridge as soon as you have bought it from the store and reach home. A preferable place to keep Parmesan would be in the vegetable crisper.
- Avoid opening the package of cheese and then transferring it to another container. Parmesan cheese usually comes in a vacuum-sealed package so there is no need to open the package until and unless you wish to consume them.
- Once the pack of parmesan is opened, you can wrap the cheese in aluminum foil. Other alternatives to wrapping the cheese if you do not have aluminum foil would be wax paper, parchment paper, or cheese paper.
- You can also place the parmesan cheese in a freezer bag as well. Make sure to seal the freezer bag as well.
- Avoid storing the cheese in an airtight container as it does contain a small amount of air that can affect the cheese.
- Before you are about to store the cheese, make sure to squeeze all the air out of the bag if you have stored the cheese in a bag.
- If you want to take out the Parmesan from the fridge for consumption, make sure to use clean utensils to take out the cheese or keep the cheese.
- Parmesan cheese can clump sometimes. To prevent clumping, add uncooked rice grains in the container containing grated cheese.
Is it recommended to freeze parmesan cheese?
Parmesan cheese has a long shelf-life if it is kept in the fridge as it is hard cheese. As a result, it is not necessary to freeze parmesan cheese.
Freezing parmesan can definitely help in extending the shelf-life of parmesan, especially grated parmesan. Shredded parmesan cheese lasts only for a few days and is definitely a good option to freeze them.
Other FAQs on parmesan cheese that you might be interested in.
How to detect spoilage in Parmesan cheese?
- Check for the formation of mold in Parmesan. As Parmesan is a hard cheese, you can scoop out the mold-affected area and consume the rest of the cheese.
- If you observe a foul odor coming out of the cheese, it is likely to be spoilt.
- If the Parmesan is grated, it appears to have a white or beige color. Check whether there is discoloration or odor coming out of the cheese to know whether it has been spoilt. Spoilt parmesan would appear yellowish in color.
- The texture of the cheese is also important. It should ideally be firm if it is Parmesan. If the cheese is spongy or wet, it would be better to discard them.
- If you observe mold growth in shredded or grated parmesan, you would need to throw the entire cheese away.
- If the cheese has a sour taste, it is not suitable for consumption and needs to be thrown away.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How long is parmesan cheese good for?” as well as provided information on the shelf-life of parmesan cheese, tips to store cheese, tips to detect spoilage in cheese, and whether it can be frozen.