In this brief guide, we will answer the question “How long is defrosted steak good in the fridge?”, discuss how to defrost steak safely, and can you refreeze defrosted steak.
How long is defrosted steak good in the fridge?
Defrosted steak can stay good in the fridge for an additional period of 3 to 5 days. When foods are in a process of defrosting in the refrigerator, they are safe. It takes 24 hours for the steak to be defrosted in the refrigerator but it can be kept in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. Certain foods such as poultry meat and fish last for only 1-2 days after defrosting in the fridge.
How to defrost steak safely?
To defrost steak, you can use any of the following methods:
The safest way to defrost steak is by the refrigerator. While defrosting, the most important point is to keep the steak at a temperature where bacteria cannot get the chance to grow on the steak. The temperature range of 5℃-60℃ is the best-suited range for bacteria to grow, while the temperature inside the refrigerator ranges from 1℃-3℃. So, the temperature range of the refrigerator will help prevent and inhibit the growth of several bacteria that can be the culprit for several food-borne illnesses.
To defrost steak in the refrigerator, place the package of the stake on a plate and keep that plate in the fridge. The steak will take 18-24 hours to defrost depending on its thickness. So, if you want to go for this method, you need to plan to defrost the steak a day before the actual cooking.
If you forgot to place the steak in the fridge overnight to defrost but you want to have steak in the dinner, cold water defrosting will help you do this.
In cold water defrosting, you will take a bowl of cold water and submerge the package of steak in it. It is a quicker method than refrigerator defrosting and takes 2-4 hours depending on the thickness of the steak. The care you need to take while defrosting steak by this method is to regularly check the temperature of the cold water and change the water in the bowl once its coldness is gone.
Microwave defrosting takes only 5-10 minutes to defrost the steak, but it is generally not recommended. To defrost the steak in the microwave, set the microwave at defrost setting and place the meat (without any package) in the oven-suitable plate. Place the plate inside the oven for 5-10 minutes. During this period, do not forget to keep a regular check on the steak so that while defrosting, it does not get cooked.
Keep in mind:
- The best way to defrost steak is by refrigerating it overnight because the refrigeration temperature will inhibit the potential bacteria to grow on the steak while defrosting.
- You should try to avoid defrosting steak in the microwave because there are chances that the steak may get partially cooked due to the heat of the oven and the partially cooked steak is the best home for many bacteria to live in.
- Do not try to let the steak defrost at room temperature by placing the package of steak on the top of your kitchen counter, because it will be of course an open invitation to the bacteria to enjoy the party, but it will result in you getting severely ill later on.
Can you refreeze defrosted steak?
The defrosted steak can be refrozen but certain things should be taken into consideration before doing this.
- If you have defrosted the steak by refrigeration, you can refreeze the uncooked portion safely packaged without worrying about the quality of the steak. The quality of the steak is reduced a little by this method due to the moisture lost.
- The defrosted steak can be refrozen if you have cooked the steak properly before freezing it again and the cooked steak is cold enough that no steam is there which can condense on freezing to spoil the cooked steak.
- Never opt for refreezing the steak that was defrosted by using the microwave unless and until it is cooked properly. But if it is uncooked, you should not refreeze it because there are sure chances of bacterial invasion in the meat while defrosting in the microwave or there are chances that the steak got partially cooked by the heat of the microwave.
- The leftovers of the steak can be refrozen for 3-5 days but try do not try to refreeze the steak that has been kept outside for 2 hours or at a temperature above 90℃ for 1 hour. Because if the steak is left unrefrigerated, it gets contaminated by the bacteria and a duration of 2 hours is sufficient for bacteria to grow and multiply on the food letting it inconsumable. The consumption of such steak can lead you to a greater risk of getting Salmonella or E.coli based food poisoning.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “How long is defrosted steak good in the fridge?”, discussed how to defrost steak safely, and can you refreeze defrosted steak.