How long does yogurt stay fresh after opening ?
In this article, we will answer the question, “How long is yogurt good for after opening?” and various methods to store yogurt efficiently.
How long does yogurt stay fresh after opening?
Yogurt would stay fresh for at least a week after opening. If the yogurt has been refrigerated after opening, the shelf-life of the yogurt would extend to at least two weeks. Keeping the yogurt properly covered in an airtight container would further extend the shelf-life.
How to detect spoilt yogurt?
- It is essential to smell the yogurt. If it gives off a foul smell, it is likely to be spoiled.
- Check for the texture of the yogurt. If the yogurt has a watery or grainy texture and has an unusually thicker consistency, it is likely to be spoilt.
- Look for mold in the yogurt. As the bacteria in yogurt wears off, there is an increased risk of mold formation. If you detect mold in yogurt, it is essential to dispose of it immediately.
How to store yogurt?
- Avoid keeping yogurt outside for more than two to three hours. Store yogurt in the freezer in an airtight package. It can also be kept in ice trays.
- Avoid keeping yogurt close to the door of the refrigerator as even a slight change in temperature can affect the quality of the yogurt.
- Avoid taking yogurt directly from its package. Instead, take it out in another vessel to use in order to avoid cross-contamination.
- Keep yogurt away from foods with strong odors.
How to prepare yogurt?
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons yogurt (starter)
- Heat the milk to at least 180℉ and stir it occasionally to prevent the milk from burning.
- Remove the milk from the heat and allow it to cool to at least 100℉. If you cool the milk at room temperature, it would be better to stir it to accelerate cooling. Don’t cool the milk below 90℉. Use a thermometer if required.
- Bacteria used for making yogurt would be called the starter. You can use freeze-dried or flavored yogurt. Add two tablespoons of the starter to the milk.
- Transfer the mixture into an air-tight container. Allow the yogurt to incubate at a temperature of at least 100°F. The yogurt can be incubated in a yogurt maker.
- After the yogurt has been effectively incubated, you can either use the yogurt or freeze it in the refrigerator to prevent spoilage.
Can yogurt be kept outside for long periods of time?
Yogurt should not be kept outside the refrigerator for more than an hour. Especially during the summers, yogurt can get spoiled quickly.
Why does yogurt require a cold temperature?
Yogurt contains live bacteria which are not able to survive in warm temperatures for long. If yogurt is not stored appropriately, the beneficial bacteria in it would not survive for long. This would devoid yogurt of its health benefits.
At what temperature should you refrigerate yogurt?
Yogurt can be refrigerated at 35 to 40℃. This would help in increasing the shelf-life of the product and preserve the live culture.
Which kind of yogurt lasts longer?
- Yogurt containing added preservatives would last longer.
- It is essential to look at the sell-by-date stated on the yogurt. Sell-by-date would provide information on the shelf-life of yogurt.
- Flavored yogurt lasts longer than unflavored ones.
- Yogurt containing reduced fat and Greek yogurt would last for at least two weeks. If refrigerated, it would last at least two months.
- Yogurt containing fruits or drinkable yogurt lasts for a week. If refrigerated, it would last for around two months.
Can yogurt be consumed past the expiry date?
Yogurt can be consumed post its expiry if there is no spoilage detected. It is best though to throw the yogurt away one week past its expiration date as consuming spoiled yogurt can increase the risk of developing foodborne illnesses. Also, do not buy yogurt from stores that are past its expiry date as it obviously would not last long and is harmful to health.
Other yogurt related information that you can look into
Which yogurt is best to consume?
Yogurt that is plain and without added sugars is best to consume. It is also good to look for yogurt that contains live bacterial culture to get the health benefits. Individuals looking to gain weight can consume full-fat yogurt.
Low-fat yogurt can be beneficial for individuals looking to lose weight or suffering from diseases like hypercholesterolemia.
Who cannot consume yogurt?
- Individuals suffering from lactose intolerance might not be able to consume yogurt in high amounts.
- Individuals suffering from milk allergies might not be able to consume yogurt.
In this article, we answered the question, “How long does yogurt stay fresh after opening?” and various methods to store yogurt efficiently.