How long does string cheese last?
In this brief article, we will answer the question how long does string cheese last, its storage condition, and three changes when it spoils.
How long does string cheese last?
String cheese can last up to 8 months when properly stored and not exposed to any deteriorating factors.
String cheese is several different types of cheese made of proteins in milk. It is stringy because the process aligns the proteins in this way. When mozzarella cheese is heated to 60°C and stretched, the milk proteins align themselves in the form of string.
Can string cheese go bad?
Yes, string cheese can go bad after a certain period of time or when not stored properly. Typically it can last for about 8 months before going bad. If the taste is off and the texture looks different, then don’t consume it.
What is the nutritional value of string cheese?
String cheese is a good snack and can be made from cutting long strands of big cheese chunks. It has almost 80 calories and is low in fat. String cheese is high in vitamins and minerals. Proteins and fiber. Due to its nutrients it is used as a snack in between meals.
Is string cheese mozzarella:
Many people wonder if they can only make string cheese out of mozzarella or if string cheese is always mozzarella. The answer is yes, string cheese is always mozzarella cheese. It is because only mozzarella has the ability to form a string of its proteins.
When string cheese is made only mozzarella is used as only its proteins can rearrange in this way. Snack cheese on the other hand can be any cheese; it can be cheddar or muenster. But these cheeses don’t make strands or their protein get aligned this way.
Shelf life of string cheese:
String cheese has a shelf life of about 8 months if left in proper storage conditions. To ensure string cheese does not spoil it is best to refrigerate. The shelf life of opened packages of string cheese is 5 to 7 days if refrigerated properly.
A tightly sealed, opened package of string cheese stays in the refrigerator for 2 months. If it is in still good condition after that time it may go for as far as 8 months. But after 8 months the quality of string cheese is not best for consumption.
Tips to extend shelf life:
Cheese is a dairy product and is used in many recipes, it is good to buy it in bulk. But cheese has surface moisture as well as other nutrients that can deteriorate if left on the kitchen shelf. So, cheese is stored in the refrigerator or freezer to avoid spoiling the cheese.
String cheese is used as a snack and many people prefer to use it daily. So freezing it might make it difficult to consume. To avoid this string cheese is refrigerated, but proper refrigeration is needed. Even when refrigerated the quality may deteriorate. Some tips for proper storage of string cheese are as follows:
- An opened package of string cheese is more at risk than a closed one. If opened packaged is stored in refrigerator with proper temperature conditions, its shelf life extends to 2 months
- When refrigerating opened package of string cheese, the best way is to air tight its seal or place it in an airtight container
- The condition for proper storage is refrigeration temperature without any fluctuation or temperature drop. You can’t keep string cheese in a refrigerator which needs to be turned off for a while.
- Air tight package is used to store string cheese, if you want to store cheese for a long time, it is best not to open the package and freeze it in a functioning freezer
- To avoid freezer burn, use heavy-duty freezer bags or air tight containers over the close packaging of string cheese
The shelf life of string cheese can extend to as long as 8 months from 5-7 days, if properly stored. Proper storage conditions are important even if you want to use string cheese for a short time period. A good practice is refrigerating string cheese after using it.
How to identify expired cheese?
In the case of processed food, companies provide commercially determined expiration dates on packages. The cheese actually expires after this date and quality goes bad. It is best to discard cheese past its expiration date.
If you have homemade string cheese or you don’t know this expiration date of your string cheese, the way to determine if your cheese has gone bad is:
- If string cheese is expired, it starts to smell and it develops an off odor
- The flavor of string cheese becomes different and taste off flavor
- The appearance become moisty and it starts to develop a liquidly texture
These three changes show that string cheese is spoiled and should not be consumed. It is best to discard this cheese or discard only the part which looks bad or spoiled. In case mold develops it is best to discard the whole cheese as it is dangerous for health.
Other FAQs about Cheese that you may be interested in.
In this brief article, we have answered the question how long does string cheese last, its storage condition, and three changes when it spoils.