In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “how long does parsley last in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of parsley in different conditions. Moreover, we are going to discuss the ways to spot parsley that has gone bad and the tips to properly store parsley.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
How long does parsley last in the fridge?
The parsley lasts for about 7-10 days in the fridge if stored properly at or below 40°F. It is recommended to cut or trim the ends of the parsley and store it in a jar or glass containing about an inch of water. Moreover, cover it with the help of some loose-fitting plastic bag. By doing this the parsley will remain fresh in the refrigerator as it won’t lose its water content/ moisture too fast.
On the other hand, the fresh parsley lasts for about 5-7 days if stored properly on the kitchen counter.
Does parsley go bad?
Yes, fresh parsley has a shorter shelf life just like other fresh vegetables and is good for about 7 – 10 days if properly stored in the refrigerator. Parsley tends to lose its flavor over time so it is best to consume it at your earliest. A typical sign of spoilage is softness and discoloration.
How long does parsley last at room temperature?
Parsley lasts for about 2-3 hours when left at room temperature. It might be the case that parsley will still be edible after 3 hours but it won’t be much aesthetic to see as the parsley commonly wilts after 2-3 hours when kept out in open.
How long does parsley last in the freezer?
The parsley lasts for about 4-6 months in the freezer if stored properly. Thus storing the parsley properly in the freezer will increase its shelf life considerably owing to the cool temperature of the freezer that halts the bacterial growth on the parsley.
How to freeze parsley?
So firstly wash the parsley thoroughly. Afterward, trim its end, cut it and let it dry for some time. Now take a plastic freezer bag with some water in it and add the chopped, dried parsley. Seal the bag and keep it in the freezer.
How long does dried parsley last?
Dried parsley lasts for about 2-3 years when stored properly in an air-tight container or jar in a cool, dry, and dark place away from direct sunlight, heat, and humidity. Thus you can store the dried parsley in a cool and dry corner of your pantry.
You can read about parsley tea here.
How long does dried ground parsley last?
Dried ground parsley lasts for about 2-3 years when stored properly in an air-tight container or jar in a cool, dry, and dark place away from direct sunlight, heat, and humidity. Thus you can store your dried ground parsley in a cool and dry corner of your pantry.
Other FAQs about Parsley which you may be interested in.
How to tell if the parsley has gone bad?
You can tell if your parsley has gone bad by considering its appearance, texture, and smell.
If you see some mold in your dried or ground parsley, then it is an indication of spoiled parsley. Moreover, the discoloration in fresh parsley is an indication that it is past its prime age.
If you notice that the parsley has softened or has a slimy texture, then it is the indication that your parsley has gone bad.
If you notice some off-smell (rotten or moldy smell) or something that does not quite smell like parsley itself then it means that your parsley has gone bad and you should discard it.
How to store parsley properly in the fridge?
- You should trim the ends of the parsley and store it in a jar or glass containing about an inch of water. Moreover, cover it with the help of some loose-fitting plastic bag.
- You should change the water in which parsley is dipped once in a while.
- You should always store the parsley at or below 40°F in the refrigerator.
- It is recommended to store your parsley container on one of the shelves of the fridge rather than the door, as there is a lot of temperature fluctuation at the door of the fridge.
- You should always buy dark green fresh parsley. While buying parsley, you should avoid the yellow parsley or the parsley having dark spots on it.
- In the case of the dried parsley, you should store it in an air-tight container or jar in a cool, dry, and dark corner of your pantry or kitchen cabinet away from direct sunlight and heat.
- You should never store dried parsley in a humid environment.
- You should not use a wet spoon to scoop out the dried ground parsley.
- Close the lid of the jar as soon as your scoop out the dried ground parsley so that the moisture won’t find its way in your parsley and spoil it.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “how long does parsley last in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of parsley in different conditions. Moreover, we discussed the ways to spot parsley that has gone bad and the tips to properly store parsley.