In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “How long does it take to steam sweet potatoes?” With an in-depth analysis of “How to steam the sweet potatoes? Moreover, we are going to discuss the nutritional value and storage of sweet potatoes.
How long does it take to steam sweet potatoes?
The time taken to steam sweet potatoes depends on the way it has been Steamed.
Generally, it takes 15_30 minutes to steam sweet potatoes depending on various methods.
How to steam the sweet potatoes?
To steam the sweet potatoes, full the instructions given below;
- Put the water below the steamer basket and let it boil.
- Then add the steamer basket with the sweet potatoes and let them steam for 25 to 35 minutes.
- Keep on checking with the help of a fork until the potatoes get tender.
- Then let them sit for 5 mins.
- After that, cut the sweet potatoes into slices and add toppings to them.
What are the toppings for the steamed sweet potatoes?
There are various methods through which you can top your sweet Steamed potatoes.
Some of the delicious toppings for the sweet potatoes are as follows;
- You can use sour cream and chives.
- Butter, salt and pepper
- Cinnamon and a hint of maple syrup
- Black beans are salsa and can also be used to load the sweet Steamed potatoes.
- You may try Peanut Butter sauce and slaw too.
- Broccoli and cheese
How can you make the Steamed sweet potatoes using toppings?
There are various methods that you can use to make Steamed sweet potatoes.
A recipe for the steamed sweet potatoes is as follows;
Following are the ingredients that are needed to make the steamed sweet potatoes;
- 1 pound of sweet potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, ground
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 white onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- First of all, peel the sweet potatoes using a sharp knife or a conventional peeler.
- Make sure to cut the potatoes into chunks or three to four slices. All slices should be of the same size.
- The slices of the same size will help in evenly cooking the potatoes.
- Then, put the sweet potatoes in the team tray to steam them.
- Try to keep the steam tray in a large pot having two cups of water in the bottom.
- The next step is boiling the water. For this purpose, put the steam on the stove having higher heat.
- Let the potatoes cook in the boiling water by covering the pot.
- When the water is fully boiled, lower the heat to the medium and let the potatoes cook in it.
- Cooking time for the sweet potatoes will depend on the size of the pieces of the potatoes.
- You can check regularly with the help of a fork.
- When your sweet potatoes become soft, you can eat them now.
- Transfer them to the serving plate and top them with the ingredients mentioned above to boost the taste.
What is the nutritional value of t potatoes?
The nutritional value for one cup(200 grams) of the baked sweet potatoes is as follows;
- Calories: 180
- Carbs: 41.4 grams
- Protein: 4 grams
- Fat: 0.3 grams
- Fibre: 6.6 grams
- Vitamin A: 769% of the
- Daily Value (DV)
- Vitamin C: 65% of the DV
- Manganese: 50% of the DV
- Vitamin B6: 29% of the DV
- Potassium: 27% of the DV
- Pantothenic acid: 18% of the DV
- Copper: 16% of the DV
- Niacin: 15% of the DV
Sweet potatoes have a rich amount of fibres, vitamins and minerals along with antioxidants which makes them highly beneficial for your health.
How to properly store the sweet steamed potatoes?
Proper storage is required to make your potatoes last for a longer period.
You can store the sweet potatoes in the following ways;
- You can store the raw sweet potatoes at room temperature. Make sure to not rinse them before storage.
- Because rinsing the potatoes makes them more exposed to the humidity and leads to their spoilage earlier.
- You may also cure the sweet potatoes in a warm and humid environment before storage.
- On the other hand, cooked Steamed potatoes should be stored in the fridge by putting them in a shallow container.
- You can also freeze the cooked sweet potatoes to increase their shelf life.
Here’s the way to properly freeze and store the sweet potatoes.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “How long does it take to steam sweet potatoes?” With an in-depth analysis of “How to steam the sweet potatoes? Moreover, we discussed the nutritional value and storage of sweet potatoes.