In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question: “How long to cook pasta sauce?”, show you the types of pasta sauce, and give you tips for making a good pasta sauce.
How long does it take to cook pasta sauce?
It takes approximately 35 minutes to cook pasta sauce. However, the time of cooking depends on the type of sauce and the spices that you add.
How to make a simple tomato pasta sauce?
For this recipe you will need:
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 spoon of tomato paste
- Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, or oil of your choice
- Put 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan over high heat and the onion chopped.
- When the onion is golden, add the tomatoes and stir until they release water.
- After that, add 1 tablespoon of tomato paste and ground black pepper.
- Stir until everything is mixed and set aside.
- Add the sauce to the pasta and mix.
What are the types of pasta sauce?
As well as pasta, there are a lot of different types of pasta sauces, for every taste. We will talk about some of them below and tell you how long it took to cook each one of them.
- Marinara sauce: It takes about 20 minutes to cook.
The marinara sauce consists of tomatoes, herbs, garlic, and onions. It can also contain capers, olives, or wine. It can be thicker or thinner, according to your taste.
- Alfredo pasta sauce: It also takes about 20 minutes to prepare.
This sauce contains cream cheese, parmesan cheese, Italian spices, and other spices like garlic, salt, and pepper. This type of sauce usually goes well with white wines.
- Bolognese: It takes about 35 minutes to cook.
One of the most known sauces, bolognese is made with ground beef and tomatoes, besides the spices.
- Carbonara sauce: about 15 minutes to cook
Carbonara sauce is perfect for anyone who loves bacon and eggs. It’s also very easy to prepare. The traditional Italian sauce uses pork belly, but you can also make it with bacon.
- Pomodoro pasta sauce: about 15 minutes
It is one of the most simple pasta sauces, but still delicious. For this sauce, you will need, among other ingredients, basil, tomatoes, and red pepper flakes.
- Pesto sauce: Consists of a crushed mixture of basil, pine nuts, garlic, cheese, and oil.
The pesto sauce is great to accompany salads, pasta, snacks, and even meat.
- Aglio e olio: It is made of garlic (aglio) and oil (olio). It is one of the most simple pasta sauces, really quick and easy to make.
How to make a thick pasta sauce?
Some people prefer pasta sauces thicker, so here we will teach you some techniques to make your sauce thicker, which will make your dish even better.
- Flour: For this first technique, all you’re gonna need is butter and flour! To do this, simply put the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, and once melted, add an equal amount of flour – for example: if you add 1 tablespoon of butter, you have to add 1 tablespoon of flour. Then just add the liquid and mix until it boils and thickens!
This technique works well for traditional white sauces, meat sauces, and even soups.
- Cornstarch or arrowroot: For this method, you should dilute in a separate container 1 teaspoon of some of these two options in 1 tablespoon of water, cold milk, or the liquid you want to thicken. This amount is for about 200 ml of the sauce, so pay attention to the measurements.
After diluting, add the mixture to the pan where the sauce is and keep mixing until it thickens.
- Reducing the liquid: Reducing the sauce can make it more consistent because as it evaporates, its volume decreases and it becomes more concentrated. To do this, you do not necessarily have to let your sauce simmer in the pan: Just let it simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally so it does not burn.
Other FAQs about Sauces that you may be interested in.
In this brief article, we answered the question “How long does it take to cook pasta sauce?”, showed some of the types of pasta sauce, and taught you some techniques to make your pasta sauce thicker.
“Types of Pasta Sauce: The Top 10 Best Pasta Sauces.” Accessed December 14, 2021. https://unocasa.com/blogs/tips/types-of-pasta-sauce.
The Mediterranean Dish. “Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe,” April 10, 2020. https://www.themediterraneandish.com/spaghetti-sauce-recipe/.