In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How long does it take for water to get cold in the fridge?”, methods to cool water quickly, and factors affecting refrigerator cooling time.
How long does it take for water to get cold in the fridge?
It takes around 35 to 50 minutes to cool water in the fridge. This would depend on how cold you require your water to be. It is recommended to not put any food or beverages in the fridge before it has reached a temperature of 40°F.
What are some methods to cool water quickly?
- Bottled water can be kept in icy saltwater and the water gets cooled pretty quickly.
- Bottled water can be covered in ice. This could cool the water in approximately ten minutes.
- Bottled water can be kept in a freezer wrapped in a paper towel. This would cool the water in thirty minutes to one hour.
- Additionally, spinning the water bottle in iced water instead of simply keeping them down to cool can quickly cool the water bottle.
This is because the iced water comes in contact with the entire surface area of the warm bottle. This would also help in evenly distributing the cold.
Why does the addition of salt to ice end up cooling water faster?
Salt would accelerate the process of ice melting. Thus the ice would melt and cool the bottled water faster.
Can I keep the water bottle cool in ice instead of ice water?
You can keep the water bottle cool in ice but the cooling would not be that effective. Ice water would be in more contact with a water bottle which can cool the water effectively.
Can I keep the water bottle in a cooler?
Yes, you can fill your cooler with a little bit of ice and lay your water bottle on top of it. This would cool the water in about 15 minutes.
Does the cooling time depend on the size of the fridge?
Yes, the cooling time depends on the size of the fridge. Small fridges cool faster than bigger ones in approximately four hours.
How can I find out my refrigerator’s cooling time?
Look at the brand of your refrigerator and its size. You can also refer to your fridge’s manual or note down the model number of the refrigerator. Googling the brand’s name can also help.
What factors can affect a refrigerator’s cooling time?
Apart from the brand and size of the refrigerator, other factors can affect the cooling time.
- The temperature of the room can influence the cooling time. If the refrigerator is kept at a hot temperature or in a room that is exposed to bright sunlight often, the cooling time would get affected.
- The refrigerator would have to work a lot harder to cool the drinks in your fridge. So try keeping the refrigerator away from sunlight.
- The age and current condition of the fridge can be another factor influencing cooling. Older fridges would take longer to cool. If the fridge has damaged air vents or doors, cooling time could get affected.
- A fridge that is stocked with items would cool faster than an empty one.
- Avoid opening the fridge door all the time. This would slow down the cooling process.
How can we ensure that the refrigerator cools the drinks properly?
- Ensure that the fridge is plugged in properly.
- Keep the fridge away from the wall to ensure proper air circulation.
- Ensure that the fridge’s door is closed properly and all the parts of the fridge such as the coils are functioning effectively.
Other FAQs about water which you may be interested in.
How much time does it take for boiling water to freeze?
It takes around four hours for boiling water to freeze. If the water is a little bit warm, the bottom area of the water would freeze first compared to the top because of convection. As a result, the hot water would freeze quicker than cold water.
Freezing water to ice would take about three to four hours. It also depends on the container the water is placed in. Smaller bottles would freeze quickly than larger bottles.
Can I keep boiling water in the fridge to cool?
It is not recommended to keep boiling water in the fridge as it would bring about a change in the temperature of the refrigerator and spoil other food items present in the fridge as well.
Allow the boiling water to cool a little bit before placing it in the refrigerator.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “how long does it take for water to get cold in the fridge?”, methods to cool water quickly, and factors affecting refrigerator cooling time.